Ch. 7-A Gesture

Y/N POV:

**3 Hours Later***

Looking back up from the bed at the sound of someone tapping the glass to the cell, I see the same brunette from earlier, Wanda. She was holding a familiar cover in her hands.

"I thought the other guy was going to bring that?"

"Well, I wanted to do it. He was running down a possible lead off the information you gave. You can tell us more, you know, you don't have to be afraid." She slid the small slot in the side of the cell open, holding the book through.

Hoping up off the bed and walking to the glass, I grabbed the book, feeling the familiar weight of the pages.

Hardcover? Nice. Looks well used but well cared for, too...

Opening the cover, I can see 3 large letters, "Y.F.B." scrawled in beautiful looping arcs. Thumbing through, I noticed how cared for the book really was. There was light wear from hours of endless reading, but at the same time, there were no tears, no dog-eared paged. Looking back to Wanda, I also noticed she was staring at me with an odd expression. She quickly looked back down at the book when she noticed I caught her.

"What? Why are you staring at me like that? You going to tell me you fitted some kind of nerve agent in the pages or something??" Then I looked down at the book suddenly suspicious of why it was given so easily and immediately setting it down on the ground.

It could have a nerve agent inside, or a toxin, some kind of poison?

"No, nothing like that! You just...I guess looked excited or something, I was curious what you were thinking about..."She looked down at the book I'd dropped then back."I promise I'm not going to hurt you.." She sounded so genuine, too.

Is she serious? Could she not want to make it worse? Does it matter? The minute he realizes I'm gone...

Shuddering for a second

If the cost of failing last time was that month straight of hell....God, I need to get out of here.

WANDA POV:

The strangest look was on y/n's face, like she was far away for a minute. I can feel her panic spiking for a minute, too.

What could have someone who's assassinated thousands THIS on edge? It can't be good. There has to be a way to fix this.

Looking around, registering all the cameras, and then looking back to the woman behind the glass, who visibly shivered. I got an idea and opened the sliding panel, stripping off my favorite jacket and passing it through.

"Here, take this..."

Her head lifted up, snapping back to the present. I see how little faith she has in me. She looks suspicious of any kind gesture. I watched her as she contemplated the jacket, hoping she would take it.

"I didn't do anything to it, I was just wearing it. It's safe... you just looked like you might need it." I tried to smile at her while she thought it over. When she finally grabbed the jacket, I felt a weight lift off my shoulders.

Y/n POV:

Y/n looked back at Wanda, then to the jacket hesitant but put it on anyway. Denying it wouldn't make much sense now. She HAD just seen Wanda take it off. The kind gesture seemed genuine, too, which was a bit confusing.

Everyone wants something. Nothing is ever free or out of kindness....

"What do you want? People are not generous or polite for no reason. What's in it for you? What game are you playing here?" Y/n looked suspiciously at Wanda.

She just smiled back. "I don't want anything. You just looked cold... I know I should grill you with questions, but I've been on that side of things. I know it's not easy to just trust or accept anything at face value, so rather than unnerving you more I just wanted to bring the book and see if I could make you a bit more comfortable."

Is she serious right now? I don't trust this at all. There's no way she doesn't want something, and what was with the whole been on the other side of things spiel?

"I can see you don't trust me, that's fair, you don't know me. We can work on that." Looking down, Wanda noticed her phone buzzing. I'm sorry, I need to go but I'll come back by later just to see how you're doing okay?"

With that, she left the holding area near the cell and disappeared out the door. Heaving a sigh and slipping into the jacket, the soft scent of dark cherry, sage, and amber drifted off the warm leather of the jacket.

Damn that's actually a soothing smell...

Feeling around in the jackets pocket, finding a soft black leather bracelet with 2 dangling chains off it. Considering it for a minute before glancing around, y/n slipped the bracelet on and slid the sleeve back down to hide it.

A/n: kind of a short one but I wanted to put SOMETHING out.