Nine

When your promotions ended, you were just a little shocked to see how much Sana had backed off, ignoring you unless she wanted something. So you would still do what she asked because it meant she would talk to you and show you affection again. You were beginning to have tunnel vision for the woman and it was starting to show more often than before.

"Just put away your phone," Joohyun sighed.

"But what if someone needs me?" You frowned.

"Y/N-ah, please can you pay attention for two minutes?" She sighed.

You agreed to a lunch date, hidden away from the world in the small restaurant. You looked up at your best friend, seeing her exhausted and annoyed expression. You saw how tired she was, the tiredness just filled her eyes and you could see how she was sitting. Almost completely hunched rather than perfectly poised like usual.

"What happened?" You asked her.

"What?" She frowned.

"You're not normal... What happened? What news did you get?" You fired off.

Joohyun shook her head, dismissing your words before looking at the menu in front of her. You, however, didn't want to let it go. So you reached over, grabbing her hand across the table.

"Don't do that. We promised."

You were struggling after your debut. Trying to fit the cute concept took a lot of work. You weren't like everyone else. You were supposed to be happy and adorable and here you were being cold as usual.

"Promise me you'll never hide anything from me like this again." Joohyun glared at you.

You were in tears, crying to your best friend as she held you.

"Only if you promise not to do it too," you sniffed.

You felt her tense at your words. The hesitation hit her before she let out a sigh.

"I promise."

She let out a sigh, looking down at the table.

"They want to start doing solos soon," She whispered. "And they want me to start acting... And we have back-to-back comebacks scheduled..." She frowned. "I'm just... I'm not feeling the best these days," she admitted.

You didn't stop holding her hand, knowing she needed some kind of support. You also didn't dare say a word since you knew what that was like.

"That's why you asked for dinner," you sighed, watching her nod her head. "You know you can call me right?"

"I can but it's hard to find a private moment," She admitted. "That's why I like meeting you. Easier to have privacy."

It was the truth. Meetings in person were a lot easier to have private meetings. Both of you slipped back into your familiar dialects if your managers were around. But since they weren't from your area, most of the words sounded foreign. Your accents were both heavy and you spoke quickly. That way no one could understand you.

"No, I get it." You muttered.

Your dinner was peaceful. Calm and collected but all in all, nice. Just nice. You didn't know how much you missed just the peace and calmness that came with having a dinner like this. No yelling, no screaming, and no-nonsense conversations that made you question their sanity and your own.

You were entirely dressed in casual clothes. Since it was still a little chilly you opted for a thicker hoodie and sweatpants while Joohyun still looked gorgeous as usual. You put your hat on and tucked your hair in before you put your mask up, allowing you to blend in with the crowd a lot easier.

Joohyun clung to you as you both walked around the little city area, looking at the shops and enjoying the calm nightlife of your newfound home. You were certain people would take second glances and take sneaky photos, mainly because Joohyun was recognizable no matter what. You on the other hand, well mastered the art of blending in.

"Do you think people think I'm your secret boyfriend again?" You had to lean to her ear, whispering your question just so no one else would hear you. You heard her laugh before turning to look at you.

"Probably... And if they're taking pictures now I bet this really seals the deal too," she chuckled.

"Well how about we give them a show then?" You smirked before moving to hold her hand. She groaned at your action but you pulled her closer, still laughing at your own antics. "Come on, it's fun!" You whined.

"But I get severely questioned every time!" Joohyun fired back.

"It won't be that bad. What did you say last time?" You asked.

"That you were just my best friend and I was tired of walking. How do we explain these moments?" She asked.

"I'm annoying and you love your best friend. Duh." You scoffed before leading her down the street.

You were certain dispatch would be taking photos of you both. Wondering just who you were and why Joohyun was smiling and laughing so much with you. Bringing out a whole new side of Joohyun to the world. But this was the Joohyun you knew and loved. Not what the world saw.

Your fun-loving Joohyun.