Thirteen

It was different. Different in a good way? But you weren't sure. It felt good. You were finally starting to move on from your prior feelings and you focused more on everything else. Slowly easing back into your old self but with new feelings for your best friend that was mutual. Usually, that never happened. Usually, the best friend would be repulsed and leave or flattered and just try not to make things awkward. Not feel the same way about you.

Preparing for your comeback felt the same, except now you were giggling as you walked through award shows, walking with only eight girls in front of you since Mina had gone on hiatus. You walked to your table, seeing that it was next to Red Velvet's table, and you couldn't help but laugh when you saw Joohyun already seated at the table.

You smiled as you walked by, pinching her arm and catching her attention. She immediately gave you a dirty look until it clicked that it was you. She smiled, watching you sit at your table to start paying attention to the ceremony. It felt normal to be like this. Playful with your best friend again.

When they walked by your table to accept an award, you felt a harder pinch on your arm, causing you to flinch slightly. You frowned at the pain, watching Joohyun walk right on by with a smile on her face. You knew right then you would get revenge.

Thus started your war during award shows. You would both start small, little pinches and pokes before it turned into full-blown finger slapping as you walked by. There were multiple videos online about your little feud, but everyone knew you two were best friends. You had spoken about it on variety shows, and Joohyun had as well.

"There are clips online of you hitting Red Velvet Irene... She has this reputation that she is very cold... How are you two this close?" The host asked.

"She's my best friend." You laughed. Your members joined in with the laughing. Especially since they were starting to see the warm side of Joohyun with your little feud. Every time you two would land a hit it would be a fit of laughter and giggles. Whenever you shared stages, it was always tight hugs after with small mutterings asking if you were okay.

"Best friend? How are you two friends?"

Typical interview questions, always wanting to know things about idols' lives since they weren't private.

"We trained together a long time ago. We were both at SM and we were dormmates. She's probably the best friend I could ever ask for." You smiled as you thought about the memories. All the times Joohyun would take care of you despite the internal competition of debuting. She would make sure you were always okay and even after both of you had debuted she would check in and always talk to you.

"Would you say it's just a surface best friendship?" He asked.

"Not at all. Our families are close because of us." You explained. "We spend holidays together."

Some of your members were shocked at the news, and you saw the look Sana gave. A purely shocked expression. You knew it was because you never talked about your private life. You were a private person and only really talked about very little things with anyone. Heck, your phone screen was just a picture of you and Joohyun from a recent outing together.

Your days were filled, with stages, interviews, variety shows, solo schedules, everything. You barely had a few days off for the holidays and you were grateful to be going home home. For once you weren't expected to see anyone, be all nice and proper... You could just be yourself.

You packed Peekaboo into her travel cage, frowning when you saw that she was a little dirty. You made a mental note to wash her when you got home.

"Spending Chuseok with your family or Irene's?" Jeongyeon asked.

"I'm going down to Busan so mine." You answered with a smile. "We might meet up together though," You shrugged. "What about you?" You asked.

"Probably just stay home with my family. My sister will be home thankfully." She smiled.

You were happy that Jeongyeon had such a nice family. You knew she would get great food as well but you really were glad that she would be spending time with her family again. Mostly her dogs, but her family was great too.

Sometimes you hated traveling home, mostly because it typically took two to four hours by train, and then another two hours on the bus just to get to your home. Which was why you spent so much time with Joohyun's family on breaks. You lived too far for your managers to just drive down since it would be a full four to six-hour drive. You couldn't make your managers do that. They had families too.

Your mom greeted you at the bus terminal, hugging you tightly. Your dad was the same, happy to see you back home rather than on a video call.

"We are going to have the Bae family down this year. They would like to spend Chuseok with us." Your mother explained as you walked with her to the car.

"Oh?" You asked her.

"Yes, just Joohyun-ah is going to be late since they were doing last-minute work. So they'll be around after we eat tonight." She further explained.

You nodded your head as you climbed into the car, getting yourself settled with your turtle in the backseat. You were grateful that nothing really stood in your way when you got home. People were too busy to notice you and it just felt right. It felt calm. Calm for the first time in your life.