Fourteen

"You look tired." Your brother laughed through the video call.

"I am tired!" You defended. "You're eating well and doing a good job?" You asked him.

"Yeah, yeah." He brushed off your concerns, letting out a huff.

You had an older brother, one that was around Joohyun's age and you two had a good relationship, just he was in the military and you didn't get to see him often. He chose to stay longer, liking what he did and you didn't fight him once on it. It made your parents proud to see their son in the military and their daughter become a huge idol pretty much everywhere.

"Is your friend there?" He chuckled.

"Joohyun unnie?" You asked him, watching him nod his head. You glanced up at your bed, seeing Joohyun sitting there reading. "Yeah?" You frowned. "Why?"

"Does she have a dating ban?" He laughed.

"OPPA!" You scolded him, hearing Joohyun's laughter.

"Seojun-ssi?" Joohyun moved closer, her face now entering the camera. "Hi, but I do have a dating ban. I don't date military men either." She laughed.

All three of you couldn't help but laugh together, sharing small stories before he had to go back to work. You wished he could be home, but you knew he couldn't just leave his job.

"Your brother seems nice," Joohyun whispered while you set your tablet away.

"He is very nice and funny. I miss him sometimes." You shrugged your shoulders as you walked back, watching her go to open her book. "Do you like him?" You asked.

"I said he seems nice. Not that I like him." She quickly defended.

"Usually when people say that they mean they want to have feelings for them." You muttered before sitting next to her on your bed.

"Why would I want to have feelings for him?" She frowned, shutting her book and looking over at you. "I already have feelings for someone." She sighed.

"Oh? And who is this someone?" You teased, earning a playful hit on your arm. "I'm kidding," You smiled.

It had been a few months since your conversation, and both of you had started to blossom into something a little more than friends. Blurring your lines further felt comfortable. Taking many things slowly, enjoying small moments of company, but now this.... This was different.

Things now had double meanings. Joohyun clinging to you made your heart flutter, but also made it calm. Her holding your hand made you feel grounded but also nervous. And of course, the few kisses you two had shared recently didn't have double meanings. Those were straightforward and to the point.

But she was someone you had known forever. Someone who knew you just as well as she knew herself. Everything you had wanted in someone really. Someone who was just in tune with you.

Your families had piled into the living room, all deciding to watch a movie before getting ready for bed. Joohyun settled over your lap, relaxing into you since you had insisted.

"Just sit here. Don't worry about it." You muttered while wrapping your arms around her waist.

"Okay, okay..." She whispered.

The entire movie you were comfortable, warm, and felt a little tired. You saw Joohyun fighting sleep, shaking herself awake every now and again.

"Do you want to sleep?" You asked her. You watched her shake her head, leaning more into you. "We can go to bed..." you frowned.

"I'm fine." She mumbled.

The movie had picked up, waking everyone up just enough to last through it. By the end you were buzzing with the twists, only for you to glance over and see that your dad was already asleep. Everyone laughed when they saw and of course he denied it all saying he was awake the whole time.

You didn't think you would feel nervous about sharing a room. But you were. Typically you and Joohyun shared a bed when she would visit your hometown. Since her parents took the guest room it just made sense. Now there were new feelings, new meanings.

"I can sleep on the floor." You quickly said when she also realized your train of thought.

"Why? We've shared a bed many times. How is it different?" She asked quietly.

You knew she was right. She was always right.

Which was exactly why you didn't fight the morning cuddles that came with it. She had a tight grip on your torso, whining when you had attempted to get out of bed, claiming you were warm.

"You would've thought I was trying to leave you forever," you chuckled.

"I know but you're so warm," she muttered before burying her face in your neck.

You wrapped your arms around her, holding her tight against you. It felt nice to have her this close without thinking. It felt almost right too.

You were incredibly content, comfortable and everything. Everything just felt nice. At least until you felt Joohyun shift and then felt her accidentally pinch your arm when she was adjusting herself.

"I'm sorry..." she whispered.

"It's okay, it was an accident." You muttered.

You felt her hand gently land on your cheek before pulling your head toward her. She usually wasn't one to initiate anything, most of the time hesitating until she knew everything was safe to share just one kiss.

Except this wasn't just one kiss. It was a few. Longer and a lot more than normal. You didn't complain, holding her tighter against you felt natural. Her lips were a little chapped from the night, everything just tired and a little lazy until you pulled her close and you felt her hand drop to your chest.

"Be my girlfriend," you whispered.

"What?" She muttered, pulling away to get a better look at you.

"Be my girlfriend." You repeated. "I don't want to keep circling the topic... I don't want anyone else," you whispered. You could see the uncertainty in her eyes, and you hated how much she overthought. "We've already crossed so many lines... Cross this one with me." You held her hand loosely, watching her cheeks tint pink.

"I'll be your girlfriend," she finally whispered.