Chapter 32: Sensitive territory

June 20th, 1965

A bed of white fluffy clouds could be observed outside of the small window at his left. John rested his temple on the cream colored wall, closing his eyes. The rumble of the airplane flying lulled him to a near slumber, giving him an pleasant rest, among the too few breaks from the 5 months stretch of draining work engagements.

They weren't even halfway into 1965 and this year had already proven to be more eventful than the last for The Beatles. Starting with the second edition of their Christmas show, quickly followed by recording sessions for their new Long Play to pair with the second movie they barely finished filming. Nobody can say playing one's self in such beautiful sceneries such as the Bahamas' beaches with girls in bikinis or Skying in the snowy Austrian alps is not amusing, but the very few days where no commitments had to be fulfilled were something the guitarist was longing for ahead of this new tour; A few dates around France, Italy and Spain.

''Hey Ritch!'' George's voice pierced the silence reigning in the first class cabin of the Boeing 707. The last two rows of the cabin were reserved for the band and their 'chaperone'. This very word was used by their manager, Brian Epstein, who couldn't make the same flight as his protégés, having some business matter to attend back in London. He chose one of NEMS employees to accompany and keep a watchful eye on them for him. ''Will you be as indulging with the Frenchies as last time?''

Eyes still closed, John chuckled and smiled. The boys had started to take great pleasure into teasing the band's drummer ever since a golden wedding band replaced one of the 4 precious rings he always wore.

Ringo, sitting behind John turned his head to his left, catching a glimpse of George across him on the other side of the aisle, sitting and smoking with Paul. Both men smirked at him, containing their childish giggles. Being the four most desired men in the world, The Beatles never needed to ask for feminine company. How could four men in their early 20s refuse such 'offering'?

''Sod off, will ya? We all know Paul will be having them all. They will wait in line at our door.'' Replied Ringo, shifting on his seat towards his two bandmate before crossing his legs and laying back comfortably on the large plush backrest. ''I tell you what, taking two or three at a time will make it go faster. '' He suggested, reaching for his pack of cigarettes in the inside pocket of his gray jacket, hearing Paul scoff. ''Doesn't your knob get chaffed after all of these girls? How can you hide a sore tip from Jane?'' His smile stretched even further as no answers were given by the bassist. Only George's laugh could be heard. With a cigarette between his lips, Ringo grabbed the headrest of the seat in front on him and pulled his body up.

''A ciggie, Johnny?'' Ringo asked looking down the light brown mop under his eyes. His eyebrows rose, waiting for an answer. John didn't budge. The drummer cleared his throat as a second chance for his mate to answer, but still, silence.

Walking back from the bathroom, a tall man stopped in front of Ringo. ''Think he's dozed off.'' He declared, his eyes lowering to John and rising back to meet Ringo's blue orbs. Ringo shrugged and lit his cigarette before sitting back down. ''Ok, Mal''

Mal Evans was the band's roadie and bodyguard. His path merged with the boy's when he met George. His colossal stature was never a subtle trait of his. It was of an obvious help when it came to convince the Cavern Club's manager to hire him as a doorman in 1962. His thick-framed eyeglasses softened his imposing physique, giving him a likable look. Although Mal was more than likable. This 'Gentle Giant' was of any service to the band members he befriended back in their good old Liverpool, working in pairs with Neil Aspinall, the road manager and personal assistant. Nothing was too much to ask for Mal. The Beatles had everything they asked for. Everything meant Mal had built an impressive little bag filled with an array of useful things. Band-Aids, screwdrivers, pins and needles, even a bottle of scotch for emergency celebrations. Mal was an essential part of the band's close circle. Always looking after them. It seemed he was always the one there to save the day.