Chapter 21

July 15th, 1961

~~~

"Mr. Phillips, what are the chances for a woman to conceive from a single sexual intercourse?"

"The chances vary from one woman to the other. it all depends on when in the menstrual cycle the intercourse happened. Edwidge, are you suspecting that you might be pregnant?"

~~~

Eddie ran as she stepped out of doctor Phillips office where she begged his wife, the receptionist to have a consultation right away. Seeing the young woman was distraught and knowing her for 15 years as a neighbor, she generously accepted to free her some time in her husband's already full schedule. 

~~~

"How many periods have you missed?"

"Only one. It was supposed to come last week."

"Edwidge, doctors usually ask women to wait until they have missed at least two periods before we can examine them. It's quite early right now."

"I can't wait this long, sir. Please, can you do it?"

~~~

Eddie felt her heart drop to her stomach. She never ran that fast. As she turned right on Woolton Road, She felt like was on autopilot. She couldn't control herself anymore. She couldn't stop running. Eddie's tears blurred her vision. She tried so hard not to break down in the doctor's office. It was all bursting out now. Pedestrians starred at her, turning around as she ran past them. Her mind was so flustered, she didn't even noticed all the eyes on her. Her breath soon became short and fast. Her hyperventilating body slowly made her dizzy, but she didn't stop, making her way to the Allerton cemetery, one mile down the road. 

~~~

"Have you experienced any symptoms?"

"Such as?"

"Morning sickness, frequent urination, fatigue, bloating, food cravings, just to name these few."

"I did began to get sick this week. Twice yesterday. I used to love mushy peas but they just make me want to vomit now. The thought of it still makes me nauseous. And...can sensitive breasts be a sing as well?" 

"Yes. It's very common." 

~~~

Her legs were burning. She felt like the inside of her throat was being rubbed with sand paper. Eddie entered the cemetery, feeling she was going to be sick. She never enjoyed going to this place. She never understood how people could visit their deceased loved ones as often as once a week like Mimi with uncle George. Eddie's legs quivered and gave up under her weight as she stopped in front oh her mother's grave. Out of breath, Eddie sobbed, tilting forward and resting her forehead on the ground, feeling she was about to pass out. After a few minutes of trying to regain control of her breath, she looked up at her mother's tiny tombstone standing in the middle of all the others. Her names wasn't on it. Only the name of her four children were engraved under the word 'Mummy'; John, her only son and Victoria, Julia and Jackie, her daughters. "I've never needed you so much, mum" Cried Eddie.