Chapter 28: Termination

August 15th, 1961

"You must be alone and you can't tell anybody."

The Woman's words resonated over and over in Eddie's mind as she laid two old towels on top of the other on the bare mattress. She was following everything The Woman had said to her on their afternoon phone call, Eddie sighed, running her over her pink dressing gown she put on after her long bath. It was the only thing she thought could help her intense stress as she was waiting for The Woman to finally come put an end to her pregnancy.

Eddie sat on the edge of her bed, opening the first drawer of her night table. She picked up a floral print tin box she stole from the back of a kitchen cabinet. Mimi used to store cookies she often baked in it when John and her were children. She felt her heart pounder as she opened the box to reveal all the letters Paul sent her from Germany and stored away after unpinning them from her wall. A few pictures were taken in the two months they formed a couple accompanied the letters. A single tear fell down her cheek, felling maddening remorse over their separation. "This should have never happen" She thought to herself. She couldn't help thinking what would their couple be like if she had managed her anticipation about having sex for the first time and wait for Paul to have his darn shower or simply convinced him it was no use to freshen up. She would have taken a stinky and sweaty Paul over this drunken American sailor.

Trying to hold her tears back, Eddie picked up a small, blurry photograph taken backstage at the Top Ten Club. She couldn't recall who captured this image on film, but she remembered it was the day she bought Paul's bass guitar. The two of them were sharing a tight embrace as she sat on his lap during one of their too few breaks. Eddie could feel the young and overpowering love that was consuming them at the dawn of their relationship. Something she was now ready to do anything to win back. She had her mind set on it.

***

After waiting what seemed to be an eternity, someone finally knocked at the door. Eddie quickly jumped from Mimi's beloved armchair where she sat, biting her nails nervously. Hurrying to the door, she double checked if her dressing gown was closed properly and tightened the belt around her waist. She felt her hand shake as she reached for the door knob and opened the door to The Woman, standing tall and proud, her strawberry blonde hair neatly tied in a tight bun. She was holding a woven basket filled with vegetables. A teenage girl was standing behind her. Eddie could swear she was an exact copy of the other.

Eddie didn't have time to greet her two guests before The Woman walked in, forcing Eddie to step aside. "You should have told me you were living on a busy street." She complained, walking into the living room, looking around her.

"Uh...well I didn't know... What's with the basket?" Eddie timidly questioned, not knowing what to answer to The Woman who always seemed condescending in her way to talk. The Woman looked down at her basket. "Oh! That? It's our disguise." She explained coldly. "By the way, this is my daughter." The Woman gestured towards her as Eddie turned to the young girl and shyly nodded to her as a polite gesture. "Have you done all I've asked?" The Woman raised an eyebrow, starring straight into Eddie's eyes.

Intimidated by The Woman and her daughter looking at her, Eddie gulped back her saliva and nodded. "I'm clean, towels are on my bed, everyone thinks I'm alone and I also sterilized my aunts knitting needles. I..."

"What for?" Interrupted The Woman, walking into the kitchen. like it was her own residence. She put her basket down on the small diner table as Eddie and her daughter followed her into the room. "Well, ye haven't told me anything about this. I thought..."

The woman chuckled, gazing over Eddie's shoulder, noticing the few metal knitting instruments laid on a tartan tea towel on the counter. "I use my own tools, Victoria. Besides, knitting needles aren't that effective. Crochet needles are the way to go with this type of tools.