Chapter 11: Concerto

June 3rd 1961

Eddie and Christophe were standing happily in the Hampton Street Cafe as two well built men rolled in an old vertical piano to the back of the place. Eddie, who quickly became a regular of Mildred's place, loving the woman's positive attitude and huge interest in her patrons. She never failed to have subjects of conversation. Eddie fin in her a help in opening up to others. 

"Look at it! Finally a piano in me coffee shop!" Exclaimed Mildred, amazed at the sight of the imposing instrument. "How would ye say amazing in french, kids?" She asked, looking at the two new friends. 

"Uh...I would say génial! (jay-nee-all)" Suggested Chirstophe.

"Et moi je dirais plus...C'est extra!" (And I would rather say, It's extra!) Added Eddie, smiling at the man. 

Christophe nodded in approval and approached the piano as soon as the two men finished their physical job and waved their stained and distressed caps to the owner of the place. 

"Thank ye lads! Come back anytime for a free cupa." Mildred kindly offered them before they left for other duties around the town. 

The french student began pressing down a few notes and shrugged, thinking the sound was not as bad as he thought. It was quite decent for an instrument of this age. It need a good tuning, but it was fine for the moment. 

Eddie walked to him ans laid a hand on his shoulder. "I think it's time I finally hear the concerto you told me about." She smiled. 

The waitress quickly raised an eyebrow by hearing this musical term unknown to her before this very moment. 

Christophe looked around nervoulsy. "Well, I just finished writing it for my final exam..."

"Go on, love! The place is empty. Please. This would make my day!" Begged Mildred, taking her apron off and leaving in on the counter before approaching Eddie. 

The young woman gave a reassuring smile to the man, focused on the right french words to say. "Ça nous pense pas si tu fais un faute."(We don't think if you make a mistake) She said, unsure if she made mistakes. 

Christophe raised his head. "pense?" He giggled. 

"Isn't that it? Asked Eddie, confused. 

"You said mind like though. You meant 'Ça t'es égal or Ça ne te dérange pas'. and It's UNE faute, not un." 

"Ye french people and this whole masculine and feminine thing. Yer so annoying and confusing." Teased Eddie before thanking her friend for correcting her. After all, they began hanging out for this very reason. 

"Vas-y!" (Go on!) Cheered the girl. 

Christophe caved to the small pressure and reached for his leather messenger bag and pulled out a pile of handwritten sheet music. Eddie was impressed every time she saw these little little scribbles. She didn't understand them at all. Her and John never thought music was made that way when they first began to learn it with their mother. 

Christophe picked up the first few sheets and spread them on the piano's music desk. He sat on the edge of the wooden bench and placed his hands on the keys. 

The music started to fill the cafe. Mildred and Eddie listened actively to the man who closed his eyes to focus and connect with his own music. Christophe didn't ever read his sheets, he knew it by heart. Eddie carefully pulled up a chair from behind her and sat down, astonished at the rich and emotional piece played in front of her. It was so powerful, so strong. Carried away by the song, tears fell down her cheeks. It was the first time she felt so attached to a song like this. Leaning back on her counter, Mildred watched Christophe in awe. 

When Christophe hit his last notes, he opened his eyes, letting the chord resonate for a few seconds. Mildred was the first to break the silence weighing heavy in the cafe. A short an simple "Wow" escaped from her mouth. 

"Thank you. I can't wait to add string arrangement to it and maybe make it longer." Christophe stood up and turned to Eddie who was wiping her tears. Surprised, the man bent down to hug her. 

"Ne pleure pas ma chérie. Qu'est-ce qui se passe?" (Don't cry my darling. Whats wrong?)

"Christophe...I can't explain what I felt hearing this." Eddie answered, shedding another tear. 

The man sat back on the bench with his eyes lit up. "Please, try to explain. It means the world to me to know what people thinks." 

Eddie looked down as she felt her heart beat faster. "I felt a strong passion, a yearning to find someone." She confessed to a smiling Christophe. "It a peace where time stops. The heart pound because there's love, strong love. A romance finally consumed after a search or a long wait. It...it was so good." She congratulated him. 

"What's his name?" Christophe asked to a blushing Eddie. 

___________

Hey! Finally I could finish this last transition chapter before Eddie Leaves for Hamburg. I know it's a bit smaller than the others. I had a hard time finding something to write about in this one. Everything will be better from here. (hoping so!)

 I found this song written Michel Legrand, One of the most successful composers in French history. Of course I put this song (part of a musical) in this story because it will be important in the future. I'll leave the full arranged one because it's so beautiful.