Chapter 4: Meeting the Starr

March 12th, 1961

The Cavern Club cloakroom was checked for the third time. The floor was swept, the metal hangers were equally spaced and the little tip basket was placed on the counter. Eddie looked at the room and smiled, resting her hands on her hips. She took great pride in her first job. She felt helpful, useful. She met so many people and most importantly, made her own money.

Eddie glanced at her watch and left the room through the little wing door, still having half an hour before the club opening. She joined Stephen, the young barman to help him wiping the glasses clean.

"Third time's a charm?" Joked Stephen, well used to his colleague's routine before opening.

"All clean and ready! Do you know what at we have tonight?"

"No clue. The boss booked this band. It's their first time here, but they already have quite the reputation in town; Rory Storm and The Hurricanes."

"Oh yeah. I've heard of them. I just never saw them play. Well this night just got better. I thought it was Jazz again tonight!"

Eddie picked up a kitchen towel and a glass when she heard a man's voice coming from the stairs.

"Guys? Somebody? I need help here."

Eddie looked around. No members of the band were in sight. They probably were all in the dressing room already.

"It's slippin' outa me hands!" Exclaimed the man in the stairs. Eddie hurried to help him.She ran halfway up the stairs and grabbed the base drum the man was carrying.

"I got it! I'm here!"

"Thanks. I almost dropped my most valued possession." Explained the bearded man, smiling down to Eddie.

They carefully carried the base drum and put it down the stairs before looking at each other.

"Thank you. Do ye mind helping me with the rest of the kit? Me car is parked in the front ."

"Sure."

Eddie followed the man and was amazed at the sight of the Ford Squire in front of the Cavern.

"Hi Ringo." Eddie heard from the line of people waiting to get it. She raised an eyebrow as she was handed two cymbals by the man.

"How did they call you?"

"Uh? Oh! Ringo. It's because of me rings." The man showed his hand to Eddie ans picked up his high hats and snare drum. "Me name's Richard. Close Friends call me Ritchie. Ringo is a new name."

Back at the bottom of the stairs, Richard smiled at his helper.

"And what is ye little name?" He asked warmly.

"Edwidge. But Eddie is fine by me. It's what I prefer actually."

"Edwidge? That's a name we don't hear everyday. It's beautiful."

"Actually I do hear it everyday!" Joked Eddie. "Thanks. Me mum wanted me brother and I to have memorable and unusual names... She wanted to name me older brother Ernest but me dad chose John instead. The second time around Mum ignored him and named me without him."

"Hey...aren't ye the Lennon sister?" Pointed Richard, recognizing the nickname. Eddie gladly nodded. "I know John and his band. I played for them once in Hamburg last year. They're great!"

***

Only two patrons were left in the club and they were the band's lead signer's and bassist's girlfriends. Eddie was sweeping the floor and the band was packing up the drums and the guitars. She could hear the faint jazz music playing from the jukebox by the bar. Stephen was picking up empty glasses and laying them in a plastic container to bring them to the dishwasher.

"Hey Eddie, you can leave if you want. I can manage the rest." Assured Stephen, stopping by the woman.

"Are you sure?"

The man nodded. "Yeah. Go on."

Eddie smiled, thanking the man. She skipped to the cloakroom. She picked up her coat and put it on. She bent under the counter where she hid her tip basket and poured the coins in the palm of her hand. She roughly counted her earning and jumped excitedly as she realized she almost had one pound.

"Successful night?" Asked Richard, showing her his coat ticket.

The girl nodded, slipping the coins in her leather coin purse.

"I can't believe it! I never had this much in one night." She explained as she replaced the small basket on the counter. "Y'know, you can just come in and grab your coat." Allowed Eddie, leaning forward on the counter.

"Well, if you do your job, you might get a tip" Smiled the man, pulling out a ten shilling note out of his pant pocket.

Eddie gasped, surprised at the large amount of money.

"Uh...no. I can't take half a quid like that! Just for carrying a drum out of a car? No."

"And hanging up me coat. It's not a easy task!" Richard chuckled and dropped the note in the basket.

***

Eddie watched Richard drive away, grateful at avoiding a 45 minute commute from the Cavern to her place. She silently walked in, knowing Mimi was already asleep. Waking her up would be the end of her. She tip toed up the stairs and carefully opened her bedroom door, squinting as it squeaked. She sighed after closing the door behind her. Not switching the light on, she squatted i front of her dresser and opened the last drawer up. Under he jumpers was hidden a small wooden box containing her savings. She opened i to add her evening earnings.

"Hanging around Rory Storm's drummer, I see!"

Eddie, frightened, gasped and stood up. As she switched the lights on, she saw John laying in his bed, his arms behind his head. Eddie sighed, putting a hand on her chest.

"John! You massive dickhead!" She whispered, catching her breath. "I almost screamed. I could have woken Mimi up."

John sat up, resting his back on the wall.

"Me little sis being driven home by Ritchie Starkey. You finally decided to get it on with boys?"

"It's not what ye think, John. He was just being nice. nothing happened. Did ye expect me to sleep with a man I just met? If so, you don't really know me. Besides, wha' are ye doing here"

"too lazy for walking back to me place."

"Wanker!" Eddie chuckled.

She took off her jumper to reveal a white tank top tucked into her jeans underneath. She felt discomfort from her brother starring at her.

"Uh....Leave or look away. It's me room now." She pointed at the door.

"Tits are tits, Eddie. Is it me or they are even bigger now?" Smiled John, perversely.

"John Winston Lennon!"

Eddie threw her pillow at her brother's face, asking him to look away. The man obliged, hiding under his sheets. Knowing her brother like the back of her hand, Eddie turned her back to his bed to avoid any 'peekage'. She quickly dropped her pants to the floor and removed her tank top before diving into her yellow nightdress. She slid under her sheet, asking for her pillow back.

"And switch off the light will ya?" Asked Eddie.

"Yeah. But only if you swear you'll tell me when you and Starkey will fuck."

"Ugh....Goodnight, John." Sighed Eddie as her brother threw her pillow back before switching of the lights giggling.

_______________

I really enjoy writing those Eddie and John Moments. Hope you like them. Fell free to write what you think about it!

Sasny