Chapter Three

I go out to run for a while. This new environment is so good. It almost feels like I belong here. But I still am Not good with socializing. I never was.

After a while of running, I check the time and it's 6 o'clock in the morning. After coming home, I took a long shower. I was exhausted and terrified about everything. Because it was my first day in high school. I needed to feel light. So, a shower is a must for me right now.

In my school, in fact, everywhere I go, girls my age are usually tan, sporty, blonde. They're a football player or a cheerleader perhaps – all the things that go with living in the valley of the sun.

But, instead of that, I was kinda brownish and pale skinned even though I love the sunny environment. Besides, I had always been slender, but soft somehow, obviously not an athlete, I didn't have the audacity to even run in school, let alone participate in a sport. Because I knew I would somehow embarrass myself. And I would harm both myself and anyone else who stood too close.

I put on a cream-linen dress and lavender cashmere cardigan, with gold gladiator sandals. I also like the color black. It makes me feel more powerful, I guess. But I didn't wanted to look all villainy or goonish type on my first day at a new school.

Jules moved in here from Georgia after she graduated. I moved in here from San Jose. I came in this city two weeks ago. Jules followed me after. This new place, new environment makes me feel more positive. But having to meet with these new people, makes me feel nervous. I was never very good with socializing. I'm still not. I wonder what other people will think of me when I get there. Thinking about that, my heartbeat started raising. So, I calm down.

After I finished getting dressed, I went up to the bathroom. I looked at my face in the mirror as I brushed through my tangled, straight, loosy hair. My skin looked pretty – it was very clear, almost translucent – looking – but it all depended on color. I had no color here except for paleness.

Facing my pallid reflection in the mirror, I was lying to myself. It wasn't just that I couldn't physically fit in. it's also my mind. If I don't find a good way to start with thirty-five thousand people, what were my chances here? I go downstairs to the kitchen. The breakfast was already prepared. Peanut butter and bread – my favorite.

Jules came down ready as I pushed the mixture of peanut butter and bread in my mouth – hurrily. We rushed to the car and put our seatbelts on. The streets were wet because it had rained the previous night. But it's sunny again. My heartbeat gets faster and louder as I come closer to my destination.