2. Wands and Rivalries

The shop is deserted except for a woman behind the counter.

"Hi," she says, "I am Tatianna Olivander, Garrick Olivander's daughter. Are you both first years?"

"Yea," you say, and Scorpius nods too.

"Well then," she says with a smile, "let's get you measured, shall we?"

The woman comes out from behind the counter and gives directions to a magic measuring tape beside her. The measuring tape measures Scorpius first, and then you.

"Ah," says Ms Olivander, looking at your friend's measurements. "Yes, I think I have just the thing for you." She ducks behind the counter and pulls out a box.

Scorpius opens the box and you both look inside. The wand is made of a light wood, and appears to have grape leaves snaking up it.

"Oh," you say, "that is beautiful!" Scorpius looks at you, and then looks away, slightly embarrassed.

"Yea," he says, "let's hope it likes me then, shall we?" With that, he picked up the wand and waved it around a bit. A flurry of grey-blue mist (exactly the colour of his wonderful eyes, you think) comes out of the end of it, filling the shop with a wonderful, misty haze and filling the air with blue sparkling lights.

"Now that," says the woman, "is interesting." You want to ask why, but you find that you are still too dazzled by the atmosphere to say anything. She answers your question anyway. "It usually takes two or three attempts to find a wand that likes you, but you've managed to find your wand on the first try!"

"Oh," Scorpius says, his voice sounding small.

You give him a playful nudge. "You're just so likeable, huh?" He blushes, and turns to you.

"I don't know about that. And never mind about me, it's time for you to get your wand!"

The woman nods, and looks at your measurements. She goes behind the counter again, and pulls out four boxes. You try out all the wands, but none of them seem to take to you until you try the fourth one.

As you pick it up out of the box, you notice the handle is covered in carvings of tiny reptilian eyes, and there is a snake carved up the shaft. You shudder a bit, but are also intrigued.

"Go on," says your friend encouragingly, "give it a wave!"

You do, and you are immediately surrounded by a brilliant golden light.

"Finally!" The woman says with a sigh of relief. "You've got it! This is the one!" You give a bit of a laugh. Well, you think, it's not half as pretty as Scorpius', but it'll do!

The bell above the door rings and you turn around to see a tall, thin man with white-blond hair enter the shop. He has an air of regret about him, and stoops slightly. He turns to Scorpius.

"So, do you have your wand? Your mother is waiting at the Leaky Cauldron."

"Yes, father." Scorpius says, and gives the man a slight smile. You look from the newcomer to your friend. The resemblance is uncanny; it doesn't take any stretch of the imagination to believe the two are father and son.

"Good," Scorpius' father says, and looks at you for the first time. His eyebrow raises slightly. "Been making new friends, Scorpius?" Scorpius blushes slightly, and turns to you.

"Father, this is Y/n; Y/n, this is my father."

His father bows slightly, and extends a hand to you. "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Y/n. I'm glad Scorpius has found a friend." You shake the man's outstretched hand and shake it. You smile. Even Scorpius' family is nice.

Scorpius' father goes over to the counter and pays for his son's wand. Just then, your mum walks through the door.

"Y/n, I'm done with my errands; have you—" she looks up, and stops dead. You follow her livid gaze to your friend's father, whose face has gone even paler than it had been, if that's even possible.

"You." Your mother says acidly. The man stutters, and his eyes dart around the store. The store manager mutters something about restocking and flees to the back room.

"I-I—" the man says. You notice his hand inching towards his wand, and your eyes widen. "I didn't expect—"

"Mum, I've got my wand," you interrupt, trying to dispel the tension. "All we need to do is pay for it." Your mother looks at you as if she forgot you existed and blinks.

"Of... of course," she says, and walks to the counter as if in a dream. The woman comes back, and your mum pays for the wand. "Come... come along, Y/n," she says in a faraway voice, taking you by the hand and practically dragging you out the door.

"Wait—" you say, as your eyes meet the grey-blue orbs for the last time. Scorpius gives you a forlorn look as you are dragged out the door.

"Goodbye, Y/n," he says with a sad wave, "see you at Hogwarts." you wave goodbye as well, brightening a bit as you realise he's right. You will see him at school. As your mum drags you towards the Leaky Cauldron, you think with pleasure about seeing him again, but can't help but wonder what happened between Scorpius' dad and your mum.

"Mum," you start, as you enter the Leaky Cauldron, "what was that all—"

"Not now, Y/n," she says. You expect her to stop at a table so you can get something to eat, but your mum just walks right past them to the door.

"Where are we going?" you ask, your stomach rumbling in protest.

"Home," your mum says.

"But... but you promised we could get food after we shopped!" you say, a tinge of a whine colouring your voice. "You said—"

"There's food at home," your mum says, and you shut up. She is obviously not in any mood to talk. As you get back into your car and start the drive home, you ask the question that's been on your mind ever since your mum entered Olivander's.

"Mum," you say timidly, "how do you know Scorpius' dad?" your mum stiffens in the driver's seat, but then slumps a bit and sighs.

"I don't really want to talk about it right now, love; just know this," she turns to face you in the seat beside her, and you shrink under the intensity, sorrow, and anger in her eyes. "The Malfoys are a bad lot. Draco— that man is a horrible tyrant who thinks of nothing but blood purity and getting his own way. I don't want you to have anything to do with him or his son. Is that understood?"

"But mum—" you say, your heart sinking.

"Is. That. Understood?" you try to hold your mum's gaze, but you can't.

"Y–yes mum," you mumble, but you know you can't keep that promise. There is something special about Scorpius Malfoy, and you know you won't be able to stay away for long.

"Good," your mum breathes, "I'm glad that's sorted, then."

You stare straight ahead of you out the front windshield of the car. A light drizzle starts to fall. You look up at the sky, and can't help but notice that it is the exact colour of his eyes.

No, you definitely won't be able to stay away for long.