3. The Train

"Hi!" You look up from where you're sitting on the Hogwarts Express and see a girl coming into your compartment. She has nut-brown hair and golden-green eyes, and a welcoming smile. "My name's Micayla Spence," she says, and you notice with surprise that she has an American accent.

"Hullo," you say, shaking her outstretched hand, "what's with the accent?" you ask with a grin as she sits down across from you. Micayla smiles too.

"Oh, my mom and I moved here from the states when I was about nine. I was worried I wouldn't get my letter, and we would have to travel all the way across the ocean for me to go to school!" she chuckles, and you give a small laugh too.

"Yea, that would be pretty awful."

"What's your name?" she asks.

"Y/n," you say. "Y/n Bec." You see Micayla is about to say something before the compartment door slides open again, and a boy practically falls into the compartment, and closes it hurriedly behind him.

"Hide me!" he hisses. You're about to say something when you recognize him.

"Scorpius!" you say, eyes wide. He looks shocked too, but not too displeased. Your mind comes back to the task at hand. "What did you say? Hide you from who?"

"Oh yea," he says and gives his head a little shake. "There are these kids in the hall who seem to think I should be their friend just because their mum knew my dad or something," you can see he's pretty shaken. "Dad warned me about this," he said, "about... about social interaction." Scorpius shudders, and you feel a wave of sympathy for him.

"Here," you say, "you can take a seat, and if we hear anyone coming you can hide underneath the seats." Scorpius gives you a small smile and sits across from you, next to Micayla. The three of you make small talk, and nobody comes except for the trolley lady.

"Anything from the trolley, dears?" she asks. You shake your head—mum already sent you loaded with sweets as an apology for leaving Diagon Alley without stopping for food—but Micayla and Scorpius both order a chocolate frog.

As they compare cards, you find yourself studying the boy across from you. You take note of his pale complexion, thin, regal nose, his beautiful eyes, and you can't help but notice his thin, pale lips, slightly stained from chocolate. He glances your way, and your eyes meet for a fraction of a second. You blush slightly, and look down at your robe.

Impulsively, you ask, "What house do you guys think you'll be in?" Micayla shakes her head and sighs.

"I have no idea, really;" she says, "I've only heard of the Ilvermorny houses. I don't even know which houses Hogwarts has!" you nod in sympathy.

"How about you, Scorpius?" you ask.

"Oh, I'll probably be in Slytherin," he says, in a way that makes you think he's thought about this before. "Both of my parents were, and that's where most purebloods go anyway, right?"

"Oh, then I probably won't be there," Micayla says with a laugh, "both of my mom's parents were muggles, and so is my dad!"

Scorpius looks over at her. "Yea," he says with a slight chuckle, "then you probably won't be in Slytherin. The sorting system is very... biassed when it comes to Slytherin house." You nod. From what your mum told you he's probably right.

"How about you, Y/n?" Scorpius asks.

"Most likely Slytherin," you say, "if the hat doesn't object to my dad being a muggle!" Scorpius nods, but Micayla just looks confused.

"The... the hat?" Scorpius looks at you, and you both burst out laughing, much to poor Micayla's confusion.

This is going to be a great year! You decide, all memories of the promise you made to stay away from your new friend drifting out of your mind.