Darling

July 4th, 1934

July 4th, 1934

——————————
Danny Walker

If you asked me the first time i felt differently about Ms. Charlise Rose McCawley it would be like asking me about the first time I learned how to walk. I don't remember it exactly but I know it happned because I felt it everyday. Charlie was always beautiful, breathtaking. She was the sweetheart of our town. Everyone loved her, nobody could help it, she was a sweet soul, my mamma used to joke she was made of sugar. My mamma told me that a girl like Charlise would be all a man could hope for in his life.

She was my friend for as long as I could remember, if we even thought about being anything more then that Rafe was sure to shut us down. I guess the first time I remember was 4th of July, I knew our relationship was different from that day forward. I could feel it.

———

Rafe and Danny had been tasked with driving his dads truck down to the fair grounds to help his mother set up her stand. Rafes mom always had a knack for baked goods. The town every year had a 4th of July fair, everyone far and wide would come to enjoy the food and the fireworks.

" Rafe your already drinkin' it's barley noon." Danny said grabbing the beer bottle out of his hand.

" It's only a light starter for the night ahead." He smiled grabbing the beer bottle out of Danny's hands and jumping into the car.

" Cmon now, we out to get these supplies to my mama, she'll have my head if we are late." Rafe said closing the door. Danny made his way around the car but before he could open the door he realized they had forgotten someone.

" Hold on now Rafe, Charlie is supposed to come with us to the fair." Danny said leaning against the truck.

" God, you outta go get her, she takes forever." Danny smiled as he jogged into the house, for some reason he was excited to see her, talk to her, even if it was about something so minuscule. Charlie had always been sweet on Danny, everyone knew it. They could all tell from the way she looked at him and the way he looked at her. The only ones who didn't know it was themselves, and I guess Rafe.

He walked into the house and towards the strawberry brown haired girls bedroom. He placed his hands on top of the doorframe and admired her for a second. Charlise was 15 now. She was nothing short of beautiful with her soft reddish brown hair, her big eyes that looked as sweet as chocolate, and her plump glowy lips. She was sitting at her desk affiting her lips to the perfect blush color. He cleared his throat in order get her attention. She quickly turned around in her chair, once she saw him she smiled. When she smiled the whole world seemed to disappear.

" Danny." she smiled. " What are you doin' in here?" she said turing back to the miror. Still looking at him while she applied her lipstick.

" Oh-uh we have to go drop off the supplies for your mother, Rafe wants to leave now, he's already in the truck."

" Lord, he's always so bossy. Im almost done, I needed to get the perfect color for the holidays." She said referring to her lips.

" Your all good darlin', I'm just glad you weren't changing'." He said walking to her room, looking around.

Charlise got up from her desk and quickly picked out a pair of white low heels. Danny could easily admit she looked beautiful. Her hair was curled and framed her face perfectly, she had a small piece pulled pack with a little white clip but a small ringlet escaped and hung beside her face. She wore a red dress with white pika dots. God, it fit her body perfectly.

" You sure about that Danny?" She said giving him a flirty look. Danny was flustered. He rubbed the back of his neck deciding what to say :yes, no, not at all.

" Im just teasing with you Daniel." She said playfully hitting his arm as they made their way to the car.

" You look really nice Charlise." He said mockingly, he never used her full name. She did look very nice though, he wouldn't lie about that.

" Thank you, Mabel down the street let me borrow the dress." She said smoothing it out.

" Well I'll have to tell Mabel thank you, because it's really beautif- I mean nice on you." He said as he opened up the door for her. He held out his arm as he helped her down the stairs.

What are you doing Danny? This is Charlie. Forbidden to you.

" Thank you Danny." she said looking at him smiling as he opened up the car door for her.

" Lord, what took y'all so darn long." Rafe grumbled, taking one last sip of his beer.

" Rafe, I swear to god. You best stop day drinking. If mama sees you she'll kick ya out." Charlise said glaring at him.

" She can't do nothin' she ain't done before, dear sister." Rafe said peering at her through the rearview mirror. Charlise rolled her eyes and looked out the window as they drove.

Danny tried everything in his might not to even glimpse back at Charlise. But he couldn't help it, it was like a magnetic pull, impossible to explain. He quickly looked into the rearview mirror, of course she was looking directly at him as well. Charlise made a soft laugh and smiled at him. He did the same giving her a grin.

When they arrived, Rafe got out of the car and made his way around to talk to his mama. Danny got quickly out of the car, opening Charlise's door.

" Thank you Danny, you been awfully kind to me today. Any particular reason." She said smiling up at him. Danny was tall, he had always been tall even when they were kids. Charlise had to look up to see his face.

" Nah darlin', just ready to enjoy the holiday." He said, looking into her eyes. Danny couldn't really remember how long they had been staring at eachother when they both snapped back into reality.

" Uh...I-I better help Rafe with the supplies,"
he said scratching the back of his neck.

" Yeah, you better look out for him tonight, I have a feeling he's going to be pretty wild." She said laughing.

" I mean when is he not, don't worry I'll take care of him." Danny said smiling

" I know you will, I'm going to find Mabel, you'll be all right without me." Charlise joked

" Yeah of course, you have fun. Just-um umm I'll be here if you need." He said hesitantly.

" Okay. Bye Danny." she said running off to her friend. Danny stood there for a second watching her. He loved it when she laughed or smiled. I guess he just liked to see her.

" Danny come help me with this table." Rafe said struggling with the large furniture in the back of the truck.

——————

Don't worry this storyline will continue in the next chapter I just wanted to space it out.