Promises

——————

——————

Danny Walker
June 18th, 1935

      It had been almost a year since me and Charlie had officially been dating. As the fall grew to spring and the spring grew to summer I couldn't help but love and admire her more with every passing day.

     That story that Charlie had told me last 4th of a July, stuck in my head. The story about how the stars are people that you love, in the morning they may diss appear but they always come back. Charlise was all my stars... everyone of them. Sure we had our fights, but we would always come running back to each other.

     Stars... remind me of Charlie and the love we shared. Sometimes, love is as simple as watching the moon and sometimes it's as complicated as counting the stars. But I love doing both for her.

    In the nights I would sneak into her bedroom and we could lay together, looking at the window at the stars. We wouldn't really talk much then, we didn't need to. Our presence was enough, I know she loved me, and she knew I loved her. That was enough for us.

       One simple day, today as I am writing this, stands out to me. It was nothing extraordinary but it was love.

      It was a hot summer day in the rural towns of Memphis. The wheat plants shriveled in the glimmering sun, the blue sky looked as striking as a picture. 1:00 pm, that's when I was supposed to meet Charlise. Behind the barn. I got there early of course. A few minutes past before I heard a light tamper of footsteps and the small creak of the McCawley front door. Charlise came running around the corner or the old rusty barn. I opened my arms wide as she squealed and ran into my arms. I picked her up as she kissed my face playfully.