Widower Valt Aoi x Reader

Requested by KaoruKenzaki555. Hopefully you like the last of your three requests.

Valt's POV

It has been three years since my wife had died. It was the worst thing that happened to me and my two children, (G/N) and (B/N).

How did she die? Well, it all started one day when we were putting our kids to bed. Everything was normal. But she suddenly collapsed on the ground. Alarmed, I called 911, and she was taken to the hospital.

It turned out that she was suffering from lung cancer. My kids and I could only watch in horror as she slipped away from us.

My friends were all there for me after her death. I don't know what I would do without them.

Also there for me was (Y/N). We had been friends since we were in middle school. She was also close with my late wife and children. And I think that I'm slowly falling for her. But I don't think that my kids are ready for me to remarry yet.

(Y/N)'s POV

I was happily playing with (B/N) and (G/N) Aoi. I have always loved children, but somehow I can never have any of my own.

When my boyfriend found out that I was infertile, he simply left me. I had felt very upset and angry when it happened.

"Look Miss (Y/N)," said (G/N). She was holding a blue flower. "It's a pretty flower!"

"Yes, (G/N), a pretty flower," I said. "What are you going to do with it?"

"I'm going to take the flower to Mommy," said (G/N).

I felt a twinge of sadness. I couldn't imagine the emptiness the Aoi kids must feel when they think of their mother. They had been toddlers when their mother had passed away.

"Where's Daddy?" asked (B/N).

"Daddy is very busy," I told him. "He will be back shortly."

I don't know why, but I felt my cheeks heating up when I talked about Valt. Get a grip, girl! This is not a good time to think about him! He's your friend.

Later that evening, I took the kids back home. When they saw Valt, they ran towards him.

"Daddy!" they both called out. I smiled. Oh, to be young and innocent! I miss those days.

Valt smiled at me. "My kids really like you."

"They do," I said. "Well, I should be getting home soon."

"Wait," said Valt. "Why don't you stay for dinner? Well, we're taking takeout because... You know."

"You still can't cook?"

"No, usually I ask Shu to help me cook. Well, it would be nice if you could join us."

"Okay. I'll stay," I said.

No one's POV

It was a very happy evening. The children watched cartoons while the adults chatted. Valt and (Y/N) felt perfectly relaxed in each other's company.

Later, Valt told his kids that it was their bedtime. "Aww," they both said.

"But why?" asked (G/N).

"You two have school tomorrow," said Valt.

"Your father's right," said (Y/N). "Go to bed you two."

Moaning and grumbling, the kids went off to bed.

"These kids sure are a handful," said Valt.

"I know," said (Y/N). "I don't know how you keep these two out of trouble."

Valt smiled. "Yeah," he said. "Toko and Nika were never that troublesome."

(Y/N) giggled. Then she noticed Valt looking at her strangely, so she stopped giggling at once.

"Er... You have nice hair," said Valt.

"Thanks," said (Y/N).

The mood, which had been so cheery a short while ago, was now so tense that you could cut the tension with a knife.

"Valt?" asked (Y/N).

"Yes?" asked Valt.

"Do you... Like me?"

"Of course I like you. You're my friend."

"No, I mean, do you like me romantically?"

Valt looked at (Y/N). Had she known something?

"Okay, maybe I have a teeny tiny crush on you. You're just... So amazing. And my kids like you too. But I'm not sure if we could..."

Before they knew what was happening, they were kissing.

"Ooh," came two voices. The Aoi kids hadn't actually gone to bed at all and were watching the adults.

Valt turned red. "Kids, you shouldn't have seen this!"

The kids giggled and disappeared back inside their room.

"I guess that they don't mind after all," said (Y/N).