Ken Midori x Motherly Reader

Requested by foufarou. Hope that you like this request. This story took place before the Beyblade Burst series started.

(Y/N)'s POV

"Come on, big sis! The puppet show is going to start soon!"

"Okay, I'm coming," I said as I let myself get dragged by my little brother and sister. They were ecstatic because there was a puppet show in town this week. I must admit, I have never seen a puppet show before.

The puppet show wasn't what I had expected though. I thought that it would be a silly Punch and Judy show with a lot of silly punching and kicking. The closest thing to a puppet show I had ever seen was a puppet Scooby Doo show. It was so ridiculous. The puppets were always smiling even when they screamed. And they walked so oddly.

The puppet show was about some knight and two dogs. My sister squealed with delight and tried to grab the puppets. I quickly stopped her in time.

"Why does one of the dogs look like a cat?" asked my brother.

"Some dogs also have pointed ears in real life," I said.

After the puppet show was over, my siblings kept begging me to meet the puppeteer.

"I don't know," I said.

"Come on," said my brother. "He must be very cool."

"Okay, we will go and meet the puppeteer," I said.

I didn't know what to expect. However, I did not expect the puppeteer to be super shy.

He just stood there staring at us for a few moments. Then he turned red and spoke using his puppets.

"Oh, hi there," said the brown dog.

"What's your name?" asked my sister.

"His name's Ken," said the blue dog. "He doesn't talk much. I'm Keru and this is Besu."

"I see," I said. "I'm (Y/N), and these are my siblings (B/N) and (S/N). It's a pleasure to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you too," said Besu.

"Have you always been shy?" I asked.

Ken nodded mutely. Poor thing. I wonder why he is that way.

No one's POV

For some reason, Ken kept turning up at (Y/N)'s house. He never said a word to her and let his puppets do all of the talking.

Since (Y/N)'s parents were usually busy with work, she was always the one in charge of her younger siblings. She found Ken's shyness enduring.

Little by little, (Y/N) started to bring Ken out of his shell. At first, she had asked him to put on puppet shows for her siblings.

Later on, Ken grew more comfortable with her, although he still didn't talk to her using his voice.

He taught her to make her own puppets. She made an Elsa puppet and a Cherry and Vidia puppet from her favourite YouTuber Cherry Pop Productions.

Her sister made an Anneliese puppet, an Erika puppet, a Blair/Sophia puppet, and a Clara puppet from her favourite Barbie movies.

Her brother made a Spiderman puppet, a Superman puppet, an Iron Man puppet, and a Thor puppet.

(Y/N) had fun making up random puppet shows with her siblings and Ken. The funniest story they did was a story they did about having Cherry have Keru and Besu as her pet dogs and have Clara go on a date with Iron Man.

"This was really fun," said (Y/N)'s sister. "Can we hang out again tomorrow?"

"Actually," said Keru, "Ken would like to talk with your sister."

The young children nodded and went off to presumably play with their puppets.

"Thanks for helping my siblings with their puppets," said (Y/N). "They seemed the happiest I have seen them in months. It's hard not having our parents around. I have always tried to do my best, but I can't replace our mother."

"That's why I like you."

(Y/N)'s POV

I was stunned. Did Ken actually talk to me in his own voice? It took a minute for me to register what he had said.

"You... Like me?"

"Yeah. I guess I do. You see, because of my parents' work, I never stay in one town for long. It's hard for me to make friends. You were the first friend I had."

I realized how much our parents' work had affected us in different ways. I had to take on the parent role while Ken didn't have much chance to socialise.

"I have no idea," I said. "It must be hard for you."

Ken smiled at me shyly. "Well, you should know something."

"What?" I asked.

"I will be moving again soon."

"What?" I asked.

"Yeah," said Keru.

"We don't want to leave without telling you," said Besu.

It was a bittersweet goodbye. My siblings cried when I told them the news. They didn't want Ken to go either.

However, I have just realized that I have a crush on Ken. Hopefully I can see him again someday.