Lord Have Mercy

Grace sat in the car fidgeting with her hands not saying a word. She was staring at down at her shoes just thinking about what was gonna happen. What they might have saw. The car ride home was so silent besides the gospel music playing in the background ever so quietly.

  Grace got out and rushed inside running upstairs not even wanting to talk to her parents. She slammed her door shut and cried into her pillow. She had never been scared like this. What if they had saw the kiss? What would they do? What would they say? Would she get kicked out?

  She cried into her pillow praying it would all be okay. Then there was a knock at the door and her mom walked in.

"Sweetie don't cry." Karen walked over to her and sat on the bed next her. "Listen. I think you are getting to the age where rules don't seem to matter anymore and all you want to do is have fun. Of course I would only hope it wouldn't turn out like that for you and you would stay on the path you need to but tonight has proved us wrong. You have a curfew now. Home at 10:00pm every night at the latest. I'm fine with you going out with friends you need that but not too late." Karen rubbed her daughter's back trying to comfort her.

Grace looked up from her pillow and wiped her tears. She sat up and questioned her mom. "Your not mad at me?"

"No sweetheart. Me and father knew this day would come at some point. Kids will be kids but I want you to be responsible. Please you are on a bright path. Don't go to the dark side." Her mother smiled at her hugging her.

"Yeah. Right I will be mom I promise." She closed her eyes and breathed a sigh of relief.

                                   next day

   Jules walked into school nervous. Was Grace ever gonna talk to her again? Did she get into trouble? She feels like she corrupted her somehow. She feels guilty for all of it. She walks down the hallway head down brushing past the nerds and Steph who call her over. She pushes the bathroom door open and luckily no one is in here. She can quietly cry to herself.

She sat in a stall with her head in her hands when she heard the bathroom door swing open. She heard someone muttering to themselves but she couldn't tell who it was. She opened the stall door and saw Grace standing there trying to fix herself up in the mirror.

"Oh my god hi." Jules said and slowly walked up behind her.

Grace jumped and turned around. "Hey!" She hugged her tightly and let go.

"You aren't in trouble? You seem happy."

"No I don't think so. They didn't say anything about you know... so I assume they didn't see!" Grace said smiling holding Jules's hand.

"Or maybe they don't wanna talk about it." Jules said a slight frown on her face.

"Well that's fine with me if I can keep seeing you that's all that matters to me." Grace stepped closer still holding onto Jules's hand.

"Not here someone will walk in." Jules picked up her backpack and dragged Grace out of the bathroom and walked her all the way to her class.

"You can get one later alright?" Jules still held onto Grace's hand smiling and blushing a bit.

"okay." Grace pouted and walked into the classroom.

It was a couple hours later and Jules was hanging out in the library by herself reading when Steph came up to her.

"Are you good? You just ignored us this morning." Steph sat down next to her.

"Yeah sorry I just had a lot on my mind and everything but I'm better now." Jules closed her book to look towards Steph. They talked for a bit when someone walked up to them and whispered.
"Hey Jules."

Jules looked up and it was Grace. "Well hi pretty what are you doing here?"

"I came to see you so I can get what I was promised." Grace swayed a bit smiling holding all her books.

"I see what's happening. I'll see you later." Steph got up and took off.

"So?" Grace plopped down on the floor next to her.

"Fine." Jules rolled her eyes and gave Grace a quick kiss before anyone saw. "You got what you were promised." Jules smiled.

"Fine I'll get a better one later." Grace giggled and scrunched her nose. Jules thought it was the cutest thing.