promise

"So that's a no to the party?" 

"Correct." Eddie glares at his best friend, Bev. They're sitting in Eddies dorm on his bed, and Eddie is absolutely annoyed. 

Richie and Stanley were coming up from their college a few hours away to visit Eddie, Bill, and Bev. Eddie never agreed to this, but apparently Bev told them that Eddie had agreed. Bill was beyond excited to see his friends, Eddie was not. 

"You cant be mad at him forever. He doesn't even know why you're mad." Bev sighs.

"Doesn't matter, he never calls." Eddie replies stubbornly. 

"You never call him either." She shoots back.

"Whose side are you on?" 

"There are no sides!" Bev scoffs and lays back, staring at the ceiling. "Okay, so he has a boyfriend. You were never a thing. He didn't do anything wrong." 

"But that's the problem! We were never anything because he said we couldn't be! And we would make out and say we loved each other in high school, but we 'couldn't' do anything about it. And he always said, one day. Well I waited and waited and now he's 4 hours away and fucking some stupid guy from college!" 

Bev sits up and rests her head on Eddies shoulder. "I know-" Sometimes Bev forgot that Richie had promised Eddie things, even if it seemed long ago, Eddie would never forget. He believed that one day him and Richie would be able to be together. Even considering her best friend and his feelings, she was trying hard to fix things for the sake of her friends. Not just herself and Stan and Bill and Mike and Ben, but for Richie and Eddie too. They needed each other. "It was different in high school. It was scary, it was unheard of." 

"I know, but- it's not now. And- he just stopped loving me." 

"I still think there's some misunderstanding between the two of you on what happened." Bev counters, "Which is why you should talk to him." 

Eddie was silent for a few moments. He knew he would have to see Richie, he would be coming to his and Bills dorm after the party, so he might as well get the awkwardness over at the party. "Fine." 

-

"Richie! Stan!" Bev yells and runs up to the two boys who stumbled into this loud party. She hugs them tight, followed by Bill. Eddie stands back a little. 

"Eddie." Stan smiles and forces him into a hug, bringing the attention to him. Eddie hugs him back, trying to prepare for Richies eyes on him. 

"Hey, eds." Richie says nervously. Whatever had happened between the two was unspoken, but they both knew they weren't like normal. They hadn't seen each other since summer break when everyone found out about Richies boyfriend. After that, Eddie stopped talking to him. 

"Let's get some drinks." Bill speaks up before it gets any more awkward. 

An hour later, Richie and Eddie are acting like they always have. Laughing and joking and arguing over pointless things. Normal. Until Richie was pulling Eddie into an empty room. 

"What the fuck? What're you doing?" Eddie looks at Richie, confused. 

"We need to talk." 

"We have been talking?" 

"Right. We need to talk about the fact that we haven't in months." 

"Why? We're fine now." Eddie looks away. 

"But we aren't." Richie sits down on the ground of the small room that occupied a washer and dryer. Eddie sighs and sits next to him. 

"You have to know why I haven't talked to you, right?" Eddie asks, a little annoyed.