𝟎𝟎𝟖. 80s night

CHAPTER EIGHT
✧ 80's Night ✧

CHAPTER EIGHT ✧ 80's Night ✧

———————

CLEMENTINE NOTICED SHE HAS A VOICEMAIL. Clementine's fingers hovered over her phone as she pressed the "listen" button, unleashing a message from Alison. "Hey, Clem, it's been a while. I hope everything's good. I miss you... I saw you on the news. You keyed a mohawk guy's car? That's badass. Anyways, love you..." Alison's voice trailed off, revealing a subtle vulnerability, and Clementine's heart sank when the distant echoes of arguing emerged from the background—a tumult that seemed to originate from Alison's parents, casting a shadow over the otherwise heartfelt message.

Clementine's pulse quickened as the voicemail ended, urgency propelling her to dial Alison's number. The rings seemed to stretch before diverting to voicemail. With a clearing of her throat, Clementine began, "Hey, Ali. It's me. I'm okay, but I miss you. Call me back, and I'll fill you in on what happened. In short, the guy was a complete jerk, and, well, he had it coming. I love you; please call me back. I'm genuinely worried about you." The weight of concern lingered in her voice until she pressed the red button, disconnecting the call.

───────────

"I CAN'T SHAKE THIS worry for her," Clementine admitted to Robby and Sam, recounting the unsettling phone call from Alison. The weight of guilt pressed on her for not staying in touch. Sam's gaze met hers, and he voiced a skeptical concern, "Are you certain it was her parents arguing? Could it have been just the TV playing tricks on the sound?"

Clementine's nervous anticipation manifested in a lip lick, her head shaking in response. Robby, sensing her unease, provided comfort by squeezing her hand tightly. "She's probably just distracting herself. I've been there," he reassured, earning a nod from Clementine, though a hint of worry lingered on her frowning lips. Sensing the need to lighten the mood, Sam cleared her throat and redirected the conversation, "Clementine, what's your 80s night costume going to be? Got something rad planned?"

Clementine's eyes sparkled with mischief as she looked up, promising, "It's a surprise," and then shared a conspiratorial wink with Robby. "You're gonna love it," she confidently declared, prompting a curious raise of Robby's eyebrows. He, in turn, grabbed her by the waist, pulling her closer with an inquisitive expression. Looking up at him, Clementine's smirk deepened, "Oh, you are." She playfully evaded details, stating, "It's better if I keep it under wraps; it'll ruin the surprise."

Their banter escalated into shared laughter before Robby took the lead, leaning in for a kiss. Clementine responded with fervor, and as their lips danced, Robby's hand found its place on her hip. The moment, however, was interrupted by Sam's pointed remark. "Hey! I'm still here," she playfully reminded them, casting a teasing light on the blushing couple.