Broken Connections

A piece of aquamarine made soft clinking sounds as it fell off its gold chain and rolled into the carpet. Gale cursed and fished it out of the fluffy blue rug, inspecting the issue. 

She was attempting to add a sort of dangling beadwork made of gemstones to drip from the bottom of the earrings. She'd actually welded tiny loops onto the bottom of the glass bottles to make it possible, and was now adding little chain links. It appeared as though one of them had broken. Now where were her pliers?

After a quick glance around her room, Gale quickly realized she'd left them in the kitchen. Oh, well. She needed to stretch her legs anyways. 

She picked up the broken loop and peeked out of her door. Everyone else was either in their rooms or out doing things, luckily. Oftentimes her roommates would try and rope her in their silly activities when they were in the main room.

Gale walked to the counter and quickly found the pliers, but lost her grip on the tiny gold link and it tumbled into the trash can. Gods, why was she so clumsy today?

Gale got on her knees and pushed aside papers and wrappers to get to the bottom. There it was- a glint of gold.

But something else caught her eye.

It was a bit crumpled and dirty, but there it was. Her Christian name, in thick loopy script. Abigail Elsi Vikernes. Gale's heart started thudding and she pulled the paper out of the can. It was a letter. She flipped it over. Unopened, unread. 

Tossed straight in the garbage. 

With shaky fingers, she ripped off the top of the envelope and unfolded the page. 

Abigail, this is the sixteenth letter we've sent to you without receiving a reply. 

We understand that you may be struggling to rebuild your relationship with God after what you've done, and it's important that you take the personal time to do so. However, there needs to be time for your parents.

God gave us the responsibility of raising you to be a pure young woman, and we shan't shirk it. If you leave this letter unread yet again, we will be removing you from the Shadow High. 

We worry that you've been given too much freedom at that place; not to mention that your father's brother is not one for remembering his God. The Melanders might not be the best influence for you. We've done our research, and found a beautiful Catholic-Owned correctional facility right here in Finland. 

May God Light Your Way, Abigail.

Gale crushed the letter in her hands, her breath coming hard and heavy and hot. They couldn't do that. They couldn't take it away. For the first time she could remember she'd been starting to improve. She was doing well in school, she had a peaceful place by herself. She was safe. 

They were going to take it away from her.

Gale was starting to hyperventilate, her face was flushing, the blood was rushing in her ears. Fuck. Every single time she tried to get up something shoved her back down. And to think that if she'd seen the letter when it had been sent, this could have been avoided.

January. January threw away the letter. They were the only one that would dare do such a thing in the first place. Why? Why would he do that? Was he trying to send her away?

Gale's head was pounding and hot as she stood and looked at January's dorm.

Before she even realized what was happening she'd burst into the room, temper blazing.

"Dude, what the FUCK!" Janny pulled off her headphones as they stared at their cousin, caught off guard. 

"WHAT DID YOU DO, JANUARY!" Gale yelled, moving closer. She held up the crumpled letter, and January's face dropped. 

"Gale- you don't get it- I didn't mean-"

"DON'T MESS WITH MY SHIT, OKAY? YOU DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND, DO YOU!" 

January scrambled backward as Gale thundered over them, clenching her fists. For the first time, Gale saw real fear in January's eyes. 

"YOU'VE DONE SHIT LIKE THIS BEFORE, TOO! WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU-" 

Gale felt strong tugging on her arms and saw Betsy and Gwen behind her, pulling at Gale with all their might. "STOP IT!" Betsy cried, digging her heels in to prevent Gale from going any further. "You'll hurt them!" Betsy was literally crying, her usually flawless makeup running into thick zebra stripes like the ones on her dress. 

Gale stopped struggling and stared in horror, her anger ebbing at last. January on the floor, shaking, Gwen rushing over to help them and make sure they were okay, Betsy terrified and using every ounce of her strength against a person much stronger than her. 

Gale stepped back, covering her mouth with her hands. The same scene, repeated so many times. Her father standing over her not so long ago, fists clenched and eyes blazing because Gale had sworn in front of the pastor. Oh, it hurt. And to think she'd almost done the same to her cousin. 

Gale turned and stumbled out of the room, slipping into her dorm and locking the door. No. No, no, no. She really was just like him. She was turning into him. Hell, she already had.

Gale dropped to her knees and started to sob. 

                                                                     ...........................................

Betsy by @mcberdly on Instagram

Gwen is another OC belonging to @chugginghj7 >:D