A pleasant surprise

Khalid was stuck in a taxi on a chaotic afternoon, the thought of Fajr waiting for him filled him with warmth. He hunched over his phone, thumbs flying across the screen. The rhythmic tap-tap-tap echoed in the space, punctuated by the raspy cough of the engine.

He started texting Fajr.

Khalid: I'll expand my stay for other two days.

A moment ticked by, Khalid's frown deepened as he stared at his message. Finally, his phone buzzed.

Fajr: What? you said you were coming back tonight.

Khalid: it's a necessary case.

There was a long pause. During which Khalid sensed her disappointment.

Fajr: Ok.

Khalid: you took almost ten minutes to write "OK"?

Fajr: what should I have written other than Ok. Enjoy your stay though you seem already enjoying.

Khalid: you know it's a trip for work not for joy.

Fajr: Good!

Khalid tucked his phone away, a smile playing on his lips. He knew that Fajr's one-word messages mean she was pissed off.

Upon reaching his destination, he paid the taxi driver and stepped out, and stood outside the familiar door. He hadn't seen his ex-father-in-law, Mr. Hussein, since the divorce from his daughter, Reem. Yet, here he was, invited for a chat. The door creaked open, revealing Mr. Hussein weathered face framed by a shock of white hair. His eyes widened in surprise, but a smile quickly spread across his face. "Khalid! Come in, come in."

Hussein ushered Khalid into the living room, offering him a seat on the warm sofa. Khalid sat down, feeling a strange mix of awkwardness . Hussein simply offered him a cup of chai, his eyes filled with a quiet sadness.

From behind the door, Reem was eavesdropping. She heard her father begin; "I hope I don't interrupt your work schedule."

"Not at all."

"I wanted to talk," Hussein said, his voice gentle. "About Reem... about everything."

Khalid nodded, his heart pounding. He was unsure what to say, what Mr. Hussein wanted to hear.

Mr. Hussein broke the silence again, his voice choked with emotion; "you know that I loved you both. I still do. And I know how much Reem has regretted. Seeing her hurt like this... it pains me deeply."

Hussein reached out and placed his hand on Khalid's arm; "We all make mistakes, Khalid. What matters is that we learn from them, that we try to do better." after a short pause he continued; "Listen Khalid, I'll talk with you frankly. I am trying to find a solution for you and Reem..."

Khalid felt a lump form in his throat. He spoke then, his voice hoarse, "Pardon uncle. There is nothing needs to be solved...divorce was the solution."

"Just let me finish what I say."

"Sorry, go on."

"Reem is not well. She has been experiencing intense bouts of crying every night since you got married. Her mother and I feel that we are about to lose our daughter."

"I am sorry to hear that and I wish there is a way I can help."

"Of course there is. It is time for you both to close the gap..."

Khalid put his chai back on the coffee-table; "uncle, that topic had ended"

"Cannot you just think it over. If it's not for our sake, at least for old times' sake, for that she was once your wife."