The way to the man's heart...

You can be a delicious meal, for an empty heart, starving for love!

~me

The moment Khalid entered home, his stomach growled. Smells of good food came from the kitchen. He deposited his keys on the entryway table. Then stepped in the kitchen and saw Fajr busy, taking a dish out of the oven. Her blue dress cinched at the waist by a wide leather belt.

"Salam." Greeted Khalid.

Her pale-brown hair swung as she turned to face him and she gasped; "I...I didn't hear you coming."

" "wa alikum Assalam" people say."

As she repeated his words, Khalid strode toward her and looked at the covered dish; "What's there for lunch?"

"Chicken-fried steak. Everything's on the table"

He thought a little as if he was considering her answer, he walked to leave the kitchen, when he remembered something and turned to ask; "When did uncle Muhsen leave?"

" early in the morning after you had left, I've told him to stay but he refused."

Khalid nodded and headed to the bedroom.

He dressed in pajama and joined Fajr at the table. she filled his plate with steak, mashed potatoes and green salad. He watched her slender fingers deftly cut two slices of bread and offered him one. He accepted it with a thankful gesture as he started cutting the steak to slices and chewed slowly on it. Similarly, Fajr repeated the same action; she cut into her steak and took a taste; it was melting in her mouth when Khalid asked; "Do you not know how to make Kabsa?"

She stared at him for a while then said; "I never tried that and I don't even know how." her dimples showing.
He reached for the can of the soft drink she had placed next to jis plate, popped the tab and filled his glass. He took a few sips before saying; "You have to learn. You don't expect me to eat steak, kabab, pasta, lasagna all the time. As  a Saudi I can't survive without Kabsa."

She titled her head a little giving him a half smile; "but I don't know how..."

"you can learn..."

Fajr didn't expect he was serious until that evening when he called to inform her that two of his friends were coming to have dinner with him, he wanted her to prepare Kabsa!

Her eyes opened impossibly wide and she gasped; "you are kidding me?! I have told you that I don't know how."

So simply Khalid suggested; "it's not a big deal. Just call Mom and she'll tell you the recipe."

And just like that, he ended the call.

After carefully weighing her options, she thought Khalid didn't give her another option, so she decided to give it a try.

A few minutes later, she was in the kitchen, gathered all the ingredients she'd need and put them on the counter. in her hand there was the paper where she had written the instructions of Um Khalid. She did her best to follow the instructions step by step and very carefully.

However, in spite of all the work and careful preparation, the rice was overcooked, and the meat was not properly done.

"Now Khalid will find a good reason to critize me, he won't see all the work I've done." She thought.

Fajr looked around, the dinner was ruined, except for the dessert. Inside her, there was an inarticulate cry. When Khalid arrived, he found the situation chaotic. Henoted the crestfallen look on her face. He asked hastily, almost in panic; "what's the matter?"