care

I love you, that's why I care!

When Fajr joined the others around the dining table, she was the last one to arrive. Everyone was already waiting for her.

"good evening!" she greeted.

As they replied her greeting, she headed straight for the top table to place a respectful kiss on Hassan's forehead.

"how are you Uncle?"

He gave her a kind and wide smile; "pretty well. You tell me, how are you?"

She returned his smile; "I am good!"

She was about to take her place at the table next to Huda as usual when Hassan instructed Fahd to switch places with her.

"Let her sit next to Khalid, so that he takes good care of her eating."
She turned to look at Hassan, embarrassed; no need uncle, I'm fine here.
"Come on don't be shy." Fahd teased as he stood up.
She moved and sat next to Khalid to fulfill her uncle's demand.
Khalid reached for her plate, but she caught it and murmured; it's ok I can do it.

He sent his gaze around to see everyone was busily started filling their plates, no one was paying attention to both of them.
He leaned forward and whispered, still holding her plate: "no worries, I'm not going to poison you."
"Sure not when everyone is witnessing." she retorted in a nearly inaudible whisper and he couldn't help but to grin.

At his insistence, she didn't want to grab everyone's attention, so she just let him take the plate.
After filling her plate with different kinds of pastries laden on the table, he handed the full plate to her. In the process, her fingers brushed his as she gasped; that's too much.
"Stop worrying about your fitness now." Huda told her. "just enjoy the meal"

Fajr protested; "it's not even healthy to eat all this at once."

"Fajr you don't know that the wife has to eat all the food her husband puts in her plate. It's a custom here." Fahd was trying to look very serious.
Her eyes widened as she gazed at her plate again then looked at Fahd doubtfully; "you can't be serious!"

The look on her face made them all laugh, even Khalid couldn't hide his smile.

Um Khalid joined them on teasing the bride; "he is not serious of course, but it's not good to reject what your husband has offered to you."

She looked at Khalid again, who gave her a sideways glance, already chewing his food.

"daughter, don't pay attention to whatever they say, just eat as much as you like."She was thankful for her Hassan's intervention.

<><><><><><><>

Immediately after dinner they were on their way home, although Khalid's parents suggested they spend the night at the family house, but Khalid preferred to go.

He was driving in silence at first, then out of the blue he asked; so how did you find every one?"

She looked at him suspectly, his eyes were focusing on the road.

He was referring to their relatives who attended the feast.

"Is he really concerned?"

That thought was shoved to the back of her mind as she answered; "Actually I didn't get along with anyone. It seemed like they were so eager to keep the distance between us."

He glanced at her as she continued; "however, aunt Safa was very nice...she had even invited me to her house for a women gathering on Wednesday."

"Good."