"Share"

"There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment." ~ Sarah Dessen

Almost two hours had passed since Fajr went to her father and Khalid decided to stay in the bedroom. He was engrossed in the book he picked up from the drawer of the night stand when the door opened and Fajr emerged. Silently she walked in and stood watching him, her eyes were full of questions.

The moment he looked up from his book, he was met with her confused look. She shook her head, a hopeless gesture of lack of understanding, and said; "I don't know why you keep everything to yourself and share nothing with me. I am your wife, we share the same life, Khalid."

It was his turn to look confused now, he thought Muhsen had informed her of everything occurred that evening. He put the book on the pillow, stood up to face her asking; "what's the matter?"

She released a sigh of hopelessness; "why was it too hard for you to tell me what's in your head?"

"Uncle Muhsen had told you everything, hadn't he?"

"he did."

"great! Why are you mad then?" he said, crossing his arms on his chest. Fajr stared into his face; "I am not mad. But I am kind of confused."

"confused? I thought you would be happy after hearing the problem was solved."

"why did you need to hide that from me? Your plans...everything!"

"I didn't intend to hide anything. I just thought you would be happier when you hear it from your father."

"of course. It made me happy... you don't know how long I had been waiting to mend this relationship. But I'm a bit confused... how did you do that? If you had plans, then why did you choose not to share that with me? We are married and marriage means to share but you ..." She lifted a hand in unconscious appeal, then dropped her hand to her side and looked away.

Khalid was listening to her in such a calm manner. When she went quiet, he stepped nearer, closing the distance between them. It made her raise her eyes to his face and intended to take a step back, but Khalid's hand reached out to nail her in her place. It was unexpected move.

"what..." she breathed in a voice that was barely above a whisper. He lifted his finger to her lips to silence her, then ran it down her chin under her jaw. And silence followed. Except for her heart, which was pounding in her chest. His hand cupped her face gently, while his finger instantly started to rub in a slow, dizzying circle as he studied her facial expression for a while until the tensed muscles of her face relaxed and she could manage to raise her eyes and meet his gaze.

His eyes poured down into hers, reaching to her heart which was in a big trouble. She tried her best not to pull her gaze away and he appreciated her attempt. A wistful smile decorated his handsome face. He stroked a lock of hair behind her ear, leaned forwards and his lips nearly brush her cheek as he repeated her words; "I know what it means to share" he whispered with such passion and depth. "I know it very well."

As if Khalid had cast a spell on her, spontaneously  she closed her eyes, feeling that she was going to lose balance then re-opened them. Her focus was distracted; "what's wrong with you?" She managed to say.

Instead of withdrawing, he moved his hand to lace her fingers with his; "this is no wrong... this is so right!"

Again he chose to repeat her words; "We are married...we share the same life... don't we?"

With a failure to find her voice, she nodded mutely, but inside her heart was racing. It was the first time she recognized the effect he had on her. She felt weak.