A challenge

I look at you more than you notice

She saw the door of the Majilis ajar, she took a deep breath as she raised her fist to knock at the door and greeted in a low voice; Assalam Alikum

Both Hassan and Muhsen looked at her and stopped talking.; "Here is my princess." Muhsen exclaimed.

Hassan summoned her to get closer. "come in Daughter."

She forced a smile on to her face as she walked in and took a seat on the long sofa next to her father. He immediately surrounded her arms.

Hassan stood up and took his leave saying that he had something to do. He was smart enough to give the father and his daughter some privacy, knowing his brother's intention of telling Fajr about Khalid's proposal today. As he caught Muhsen's eye, he made a motion with his head, telling him to inform her then he left. The way she kept her eyes on the floor made Muhsen realize that something was wrong.

In a voice that was close to a whisper, Muhsen asked her with concern; what's wrong? Why are you so upset?

She raised her eyes and after swallowing up she asked; "what's going on, dad?" Her voice sounded pressing and urgent.

Muhsen looked at her confused as he repeated the words ; what's going on?!

She sighed in a desperate manner; "what is this I heard about your marry-her-off plan, dad" just then she couldn't control her emotions as tears welled up in her eyes. She didn't expect that, not from her father at least.

He tipped her chin to make her look at him; "Who told you?"

"It doesn't matter...Is that's why you came here to get me married and leave me? have I become a burden for you?" Sadness and disappointment overcame her and tears started to flow quickly down her cheeks.

Muhsen's heart torn at seeing her like this; he cupped her face in his hand; "you were never a burden and you will never be"

She was still in somewhat of a state of shock; "then why did you do this to me?"

"I did nothing...you have a misunderstanding." He was trying to assure her but she got worked up further and stood up; "How could you consider all this as nothing?"

He knew she was getting emotional, so he tried to calm her down; "There is nothing to cry over Fajr, sit down and let's talk..."

"you are trying to get me married without telling me anything about it, to a person dislikes me and you are telling me it's nothing?" Her voice trailed off and she started crying again.

Muhsen interfered "dislikes you? Khalid? That's impossible...he came to me and proposed to marry you even before Hassan talked with me about this..."

Fajr tried to rub the tears that dripped off her face with her hands, but they kept flowing faster than she could wipe "Is that's why you sent me here?? Apparently, you are just doing what grandpa determined to do with you in the past."

He caught her hand and led her to sit back on her seat; "dear, I didn't plan anything like this. Khalid, himself, came to me and proposed...this has nothing to do with me or Hassan."

She shook her head unbelievably; "Impossible! You don't know how much he hates me...uncle Hassan must have forced him into this... this is just like any forced outdated marriages!"

His eyes peered deep into hers as he knitted his eyebrows together; "What kind of talk is this? I will never force you into doing something you don't want..."

She sobbed; "In that case, I don't want to get married to him..."

"Why? Tell me a reason! Khalid is a good and trustworthy man...do you think I would hand my only and beloved daughter to a man that's not capable of making her happy?"