A wordless farewell

Love doesn't know its own depth till the hour of separation.

After a week of battling, Muhsen was finally released from hospital. The hospital automatic doors creaked open, bathing Muhsen and Khalid in the golden afternoon light. Khalid adjusted his grip on Muhsen's arm, steadying him against the sudden change from the hospital hushed atmosphere to the vibrant symphony of the outside world. Muhsen blinked against the sunlight filtering through the leaves of the trees lining the sidewalk. Behind them, Fajr was following. She saw Khalid turn and approach her. In one movement, he took the small overnight bag from her hands and swung it over his shoulder without a word. Then stepped forward, taking Muhsen's arm with care.

"One step at a time, son." Muhsen told him.

"Come on, Uncle. I bet you can run a race, and you'll be chasing pigeons in no time." Khalid teased and Muhsen chuckled, a dry rasp that held the familiar twinkle. 

"Wallahi, with you and Fajr by my side, who knows what mountains we might climb."

With a smile, Fajr slipped a hand under Muhsen's other arm, stolen a glance at Khalid. It had been four days since the last time they spoke. She rarely saw him during the past few days in the hospital. Today, he seemed to avoid eye contact with her, all along the way.

The walk to the car was slow, punctuated by pauses for Muhsen to catch his breath. As they reached the car, Khalid opened the passenger door, and carefully helped Muhsen into the passenger seat. Fajr handed him a thin blanket which he took and tucked around Muhsen's shoulders. They exchanged one flash of a glance, but it lasted no longer than a flash of lightning. She couldn't decide if Khalid's sideway glance at her was disbelieving, or vaguely irritated.

The drive home was filled with Muhsen's vivid way of speaking despite of his tiresome. From the back seat, Fajr's eyes kept lifting to the rearview mirror and then disappointedly falling back down. Khalid didn't even glance in the mirror to catch her expression.

As they pulled into the driveway of their home, Khalid pulled to the side of the road, right in front of the building to save Muhsen's the trouble of long walk. Muhsen shuffled out of the car, leaning on Khalid and Fajr's arms.

******

In their apartment, Fajr helped her father into his makeshift bedroom. She had transformed a cozy corner of the living room into a haven of comfort.

"Get some rest, Dad," she murmured. "You need your strength."

Muhsen nodded, his eyes heavy with fatigue. "Thanks, sweetheart. For everything."

He closed his eyes, his breathing slowing into a steady rhythm. Fajr lingered for a moment, watching her father sleep, his face etched with the ravages of illness.

Her eyes flickered to the apartment door, where Khalid had just disappeared after bringing them home. The sight of Khalid caring for her father when he helped him stand up and walk, his jokes and warm talks with him, and everything he'd been doing in the hospital for her dear father, filled her with a love so fierce that it threatened to burst.

************

Khalid came late in the evening and retreated to his study, his self-imposed exile behind a laptop screen, a wall of books and muttered papers. He stared at the airline confirmation email that was glowing on the laptop screen, his brow furrowed, reflecting on how easily Fajr took the decision of leaving him. The fact that he failed to make Fajr understand the truth was threatening to drive him insane and he felt absolutely, helpless. He picked up a pen from the desk and uncapped it, then started filling in a form.

*********

Fajr set the bowl down gently, her touch feather-light on her father's hand; "Dad. I brought you dinner. Noodle soup, the way you like it."