CHAPTER: 6 THE PLANNED UNPLANNED MEET

So Hee's perspective

Three days of playing job hunter left me feeling like a rejected contestant on a reality show-no golden ticket or job offer in sight. Everywhere I looked, part-time gigs were as elusive as my neighbor's cat when it was time for a bath. Students, high on their exam-free freedom, had snagged them all. The weight of unemployment draped over me like a dramatic cloak, and the imminent confession to PP and KK (my personal peanut gallery) seemed more daunting than a tightrope walking over a pit of banana peels.

My face was a living mood ring of gloom, and my enthusiasm for anything other than part-time jobs was MIA.

Lost in my jobless blues on the way to college, I morphed into a human bumper car and collided with a young guy, turning his neatly organized papers into a confetti explosion. Hastily, I hit the brakes on my self-pity party and offered a and-both to help him and to salvage a shred of my dignity. Life's a collision course, but who knew it could be this messy and strangely entertaining?

 Life's a collision course, but who knew it could be this messy and strangely entertaining?

(Imagin the page to be a pamphlet ^^)

The guy I collided with admitted his lack of attention to be the cause of the collision seeking forgiveness. "No, no, even I wasn't paying attention, you need not be sorry," I said gathering the fallen pamphlets along with him. "And not to sound nosy, but did something happen? You sound dejected," I asked sensing his dejection, I couldn't resist prying.

He sighed, explaining his futile attempt to recruit for a night shift club due to part-timers already being occupied with some job or the other. Excitement surged within me; it felt like divine intervention. Overwhelmed with joy, I inadvertently hugged the poor guy before realizing the awkwardness and stepping back. "Umm... sorry," I mumbled, grinning, "You won't believe me, but I was searching for a job with the same requirements. It's like God sent you to me. I'm so thankful. Please, I'd love to join your club. Please don't say no!" My plea triggered a magical switch; his face lit up. "You're serious?" he exclaimed. The tension dissolved into laughter. "This is incredible! We've been struggling, and now, it's like you dropped from job-seeking heaven!" he chuckled. Relieved, I shared my gratitude, "It's a win-win, right? I get a job, and your club gains a member." His enthusiasm was contagious. "Welcome aboard! We meet tonight at 7 for orientation. Don't be late," he declared, and I couldn't help but marvel at the serendipity of it all. As we parted ways, I couldn't shake off the feeling that, perhaps, this unexpected encounter held the promise of a brighter chapter.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

IN THE EVENING

I scrutinized the pamphlet, my passport to a new workplace in the heart of the city. A half-hour bus ride away, I allowed an extra hour for my first visit. Earbuds in, serenaded by instrumental tunes, I strolled to the bus stop. The bus arrived promptly, and with my student card punched, I settled into a seat. Disembarking, I navigated hidden alleys, taking a mysterious ten-minute route to the club. The line outside hinted at its popularity but armed with the recruiting pamphlet, I bypassed the queue, greeted by curious glances. Stepping inside, I entered a pulsating realm. Neon lights danced, music reverberated, and the atmosphere thrived with revelers lost in the rhythm.