Emotional distance

════ ⋆★⋆ ════

She went back to bed as if nothing happened. As soon as she layed down, Charles turned to her and put his arm around her, closing her in a tight embrace. [Y/n] tried her best to not break down. How could he had done it to her? All this time acting as if there was something genuine between them, while the reality was so different.

The next morning, [Y/n] woke up early, determined to maintain a facade of everything. She didn't want to confront Charles just yet. Or maybe she wouldn't confront him ever. But then what happens? They continue the 'relationship' until when?

"Hey, Charles," [Y/n] spoke. She was in the kitchen already when Charles walked down. To make it seem normal, she made breakfast. "Skylar texted me, and she's feeling a bit low. You know, the thing that happened with her father."

Charles glanced at the breakfast [Y/n] made. Simple pancakes, but the appreciated the effort. He gave his girlfriend a hug and a kiss on the forehead. "Thank you for making breakfast." He said. "How are Skylar and her dad doing?"

"Oh, well, you know, she's really worried and sad. I actually thought I could pay her a visit today."

"Mhm, we were supposed to spend time today together, because I'm leaving tomorrow, but I understand. When will you be back? Maybe you need a ride?"

"Uh... I can just get a taxi, don't worry."

"A taxi?" A chuckle escaped Charles' mouth. "You can borrow one of my cars if you really don't want me to give you a ride. But promise to be careful."

[Y/n] managed a nod. "Thanks, Charlie. I'll make sure to return it in one piece."

As Charles left for his morning routine, [Y/n] drowned in the mixed emotions within her. The act she was putting on felt like a charade and every moment with Charles became a reminder of what she found out last night.

When [Y/n] made sure Charles couldn't hear her, she dailed Skylar's number.

Skylar picked up after a few rings, her voice sounding weary. "Hey, [Y/n]. What's up? Are you finally able to talk?"

"I was wondering if you're free to hang out today."

"That sounds nice," Skylar's voice brightened a bit, "come over whenever you can."

"I'll be there soon. Take care, Skylar."

As [Y/n] hung up, she felt a pang of guilt. She felt as if she neglected the friendship since she became involved with Charles.

∘•········ʚ ♡ ɞ ········•∘

After [Y/n] got on the way to Skylar's place, Charles started overthinking her behavior. There was something wrong with [Y/n], but he couldn't quite figure what. Everything went well the previous day, so it wasn't related to the family dinner.

There definitely was a shift in [Y/n]'s behavior. She felt colder, more distant, even if she was trying her best to remain her usual self. Almost as if she...

Charles gasped when he put the puzzle pieces together. The first person he thouht of asking for advice was Carlos.

"Hola, que tal?" The teammate's voice sounded from the other side of the phone.

"Hey, Carlos. I need to talk. It's about [Y/n]," Charles began in a serious tone. "I think you're the only person that I trust with this."

"What happened? Is she okay? Didn't you have dinner at your mother's yesterday?"

"We did and I thought everything was going great, because it did, but this morning [Y/n] has been different."

"What do you mean by different?"