Wool to Brave the Seasons - Part Two

After convincing him to let her decorate for Christmas, Dany treats Jon to a friendly interrogation and discovers he's not so quiet after all! She just needed to stop and listen.
~*~

~*~
"So many secrets to be found amid the falling snow"
~*~

A heavy veil of sleep-induced fog smothered her mind, waking abruptly, her heart pounding as she glanced around the unfamiliar room and searched for the source that woke her, confusion sending what little thoughts existed in her head, scattering like dandelion seeds in a swift wind.

Metal scraping along concrete somewhere outside, rhythmic and determined, made it through the wall, and she bolted out of bed, creeping to the blinds to peek out. Snow still fell, lighter now, but the mottled sky threatened another deluge before long. She wondered why Jon was bothering to clear a winding path toward the small grassy area behind his apartment until Ghost trotted over to him. She arched a brow, mouth curling as the silent man absentmindedly reached down to pet the giant puff of white fur.

Jon's head swung to her and she almost jumped but caught herself and waggled her fingers through the blinds instead, hoping it wouldn't be weird between them today. Smoothing her hands over her tangled hair, she eyed his bookshelves, hands burning to go through them, but Jon was kicking snow off his boots and coming back inside.

She made the bed instead and prepared to face him. How did she act after stealing a stranger's bed for the night? She was about to find out as the clatter of paws raced down the hallway and jumped on the other side of the door. She stared wide-eyed as the handle went down; the door flew open, and Ghost launched himself at her. Her breath whooshed from her as she tottered back and scarcely stayed upright as huge snow-damp paws settled on her shoulders, and a frozen nose snuffled her face.

"I wish everyone were this excited to see me," She said, giggling and face twisting as he huffed a breath of hot air, his tongue dragging up her jaw. Jon's voice cut through her soft laugh and whispers.

"Ghost. Down. We don't maul people."

Ghost gave her a look that seemed far more intelligent than it should, like he was rolling his eyes, and she nodded, whispering, "He's a tad dramatic, I know. You just wanted to say hello."

"Don't encourage him, or you'll have to fight for space in that bed," Jon said, her eyes going to his as Ghost dropped to the floor and padded over to his master, who went on, "He forgets he's not a pup anymore."

She smiled as Ghost perched at Jon's side, head tilted and mouth hanging open, as Jon shook his head at the beast.

"I'm sure he can't be any worse than some I've shared a bed with," She laughed as his dog's ears perked up and his tail whacked off the floor. Jon made an odd choking sound. Her brain finally caught up to her mouth, and she wanted to smack her hand over it as he dropped his head and huffed a laugh.

"He won't hog the covers, at least." Jon shrugged and made to leave, glancing back to toss over his shoulder, "You hungry?"

Daenerys nodded, cringing as she peeled her damp shirt away from her skin. Wet paw prints marked the orange fabric as she padded after Jon to the kitchen. He moved through the world with purpose and grace, all hard lines and shifting muscle, a hidden strength simmering under his deceptively placid surface. He worked decisively, gathering bacon, eggs, and sausages from the fridge before grabbing a frying pan and setting it on his gas stove. She felt like a spare part as she hovered in the doorway, mouth opening to offer him a hand, but that wasn't what came out.