Fifteen.

Ren paced nervously in front of Jia's door, rehearsing his apology in his mind. He took a deep breath and knocked on the door. Jia opened it, her expression unreadable.

"Hey, Jia, I... I've been wanting to talk to you," Ren started, his words stumbling over each other.

Jia raised an eyebrow, inviting him in. "Come in, Ren. Let's talk."

As they sat down, Ren began his ramble, the words pouring out in a jumbled mess. "Jia, you know, the thing is, Mira and I, we have a history. But it's in the past. I mean, we were friends, and I was confused, and I just... I didn't want to mess things up. I didn't want to drag you into the mess, and I... I thought maybe if I just stayed away, everything would be fine."

Jia listened patiently, her eyes fixed on Ren. He continued, "And then, you know, I saw her again, and I didn't expect it to hit me that way. It's not an excuse, but I got all messed up, and I didn't want to burden you with my issues. I thought, maybe if I sorted things out, I could come back and be the person you deserve."

He took a deep breath before realizing he was rambling. Jia placed a finger on his lips, silencing him.

"Ren, stop. Breathe," she said calmly.

Ren nodded, grateful for the reprieve. Jia continued, "I appreciate your honesty about your past with Mira. I'm not here to judge you for that. We all have history. I have a baby with my ex-boyfriend, after all."

Ren's eyes widened, and he stammered, "Jia, I didn't mean to judge you or anything. I... I just wanted to be honest."

Jia smiled gently, "I know, Ren. But what hurt me wasn't your past with Mira. It was the way you shut me out for months. I felt like I wasn't even worth a conversation or an explanation. It made me question my own worth."

Ren looked down, his remorse evident. "I'm so sorry, Jia. I never meant to make you feel that way. I should've communicated better."

Jia nodded, "Exactly. Communication is crucial. If we're going to take this seriously, you need to understand that. You can't just run away when things get complicated. We need to face them together."

Ren took a moment to absorb her words. "You're right, Jia. I messed up big time, and I want to make it right. I don't want to lose you."

Jia leaned in, a hint of a smile on her face. "Ren, I'm willing to give us a chance, but you need to work hard for it too. I need to see that you're committed, that you've learned from your mistakes. I've been hurt in love in the past, just the way you have and I don't think I can handle another heartbreak. So, no more disappearing acts, okay?"

Ren nodded emphatically. "No disappearing acts, I promise. I really care about you, Jia."

She leaned back, her expression softening. "Actions speak louder than words, Ren. Show me you mean it."

Ren took Jia's hand, determined to prove himself. "I will, Jia. I'll work hard to make things right between us."

______