03

It was as though the world around them immediately ceased to exist and while it was a little difficult to breathe, all Ayra could see was Ibrahim. She didn't see anything or anyone else.

It'd been one thing to sneakily admire him at age thirteen and it was another to watch him through the screens over the years. Nothing compared, however, to having him right in front of her in all his glory. Nothing came close and the intensity of it stole the air from her lungs.

She'd always known he was tall but having him so close showed just how tall he was compared to her. He had about seven inches over her but it seemed like so much more. His skin was still the lovely shade of honey-brown and his brows were still full. His nose was still as straight and his lips were still lovely...And then there were his eyes.

Onyx coloured eyes held her hazel ones captive, with depths that could easily drown her. Unlike her eyes which were an open book to her emotions, Ibrahim's eyes were closed off; shrouded with an intense mystery she would kill to unravel right there and right then. His lips moved as his smile widened by the littlest inch and then he spoke, his voice way deeper than she remembered. "Hello, Ayra."

Ayra was ready to melt into the ground. It was a miracle her toes didn't curl and it was another miracle that she didn't stutter when she managed to say "Hi."

Always the one to cause trouble, Ibtihaj loudly cleared her throat. "When you're done sharing love ehn, some of us are still here."

That was all it took to bring Ayra back to the present. Ibrahim turned to Ibtihaj, giving her his full attention. "You must be Ibtihaj."

"Yes, and you must be Ibrahim Fahad."

Ayra wanted to push her best friend into the nearest bush. Ibrahim, unfazed, nodded. "I am. It's a pleasure to meet the best friend of Ayra's."

"And it's a pleasure to finally meet the man my best friend is engaged to. You've been very scarce in the last month sha."

Ayra grabbed her best friend's hand, horrified. "Ibty!"

Ibrahim's calm expression gave way for mild embarrassment and a hint of amusement. "I actually have good reason but I apologise. I'll be making it up to Ayra, and you too, in the coming weeks. Let's just get through this event first."

Ibtihaj regarded him for a moment before she nodded once and turned to her best friend who was murdering her with a glare. She smiled sweetly. "Oya, you two should have fun." She pulled her hand out of Ayra's. "I will be right behind you."

"Ibty," Ayra gritted out. "I swear to God..."

"Gbe (move), my friend. Don't keep your fiancé waiting."

Ayra turned to Ibrahim, smiling apologetically. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine." His calm expression was back on and he gestured forward with a hand. "Shall we?"

Ayra nodded, back to being an honest internal mess. "We shall."

He stayed right beside her, keeping very little space between them and Ayra felt herself go dizzy from the whiffs she caught of his perfume; an exotic concoction of rosewood, cardamom, sandalwood and what she assumed was oud. It was heavenly and she wondered if he'd find it weird if she asked what brand he used. She had a feeling it probably cost a lot. He was known for his luxurious tastes after all.

As they approached their parents who stood with some other guests, Ibrahim quietly said "You look beautiful, Ayra. This shade of green is definitely your colour."

Ayra didn't think her cheeks got get any hotter but they did and all she could do was manage an extremely bashful smile. "Thank you."

"You're most welcome."