43

The East Midlands Airport was cold.

As she and Ibtihaj claimed their luggage, Ayra hoped the weather did not get colder until the both of them returned to Atlantica. She wasn't sure she'd be able to take it despite her having packed enough essentials just in case it got really cold.

Ibtihaj checked her phone, reading the text she'd received. "Adil said they're outside."

"He didn't come alone?"

Ibtihaj shook her head, putting her phone to sleep. "No. He said he's with his cousin, Ayman."

"Remind me how you got him to pick us up and actually drive us all the way to Leicester."

Ibtihaj smiled proudly. "When a man wants to do anything for you, you cannot say no. Oga insisted, saying that he and Ayman actually had stuff to do in Leicester tomorrow and next. You know I like free thing."

"Oh Ibty."

"I love you too. Oya, let's go!"

Halfway to the exit of the terminal, Ibtihaj felt the urge to pee and while searching for the restroom, Ayra decided she'd grab a to-go cup of coffee from one of the cafes and wait until Ibtihaj returned. Both of them ditched their boxes with a friendly female security officer and went their separate ways.

Apart from a few people who sipped their coffees and munched on their chosen pastries, the café was sparsely filled. Ayra, with the heaviness in her chest that she'd carried all the way from Aomi, took in a breath and blew it out before walking to the counter where three baristas busied themselves with one thing or the other.

One of the two females among them perked up when Ayra stopped on the other side of the counter. The barista smiled. "Hello. What can I get for you?"

Ayra quickly scanned their menu. "A mocha, please, with extra hot chocolate. I'll have one to go."

The barista nodded. "Will you be having anything to go with it?"

Ayra glanced through the display case that held pastries in different sizes and colours. She nodded a moment later. "I think I'll take muffins." She raised her head. "They're blueberry muffins, right?"

The barista's smile was dazzling. "Right. Fresh from the oven as the first batch sold out earlier than planned."

That got a small smile out of Ayra. "I'll have them. Three please."

"Alright. One mocha with extra hot chocolate and muffins coming right up."

Feeling a little guilty at the thought of getting something for just herself, Ayra added "And one cappuccino for my best friend. She'll be here in a bit. Sorry. Three muffins for her too."

The barista shook her head. "No worries. Also to go?"

Ayra nodded. "Yes, also to go."

"You wanna take a seat while I get your orders?"

Ayra shook her head. "No, I'll just wait here. I've been sitting on the plane for hours."

An understanding smile appeared on the barista's face. "Alright then."

The barista got to work and Ayra watched. It wasn't long before the space beside her was occupied and although she was tempted to turn her head to see who it was, Ayra forced herself to keep her eyes on the barista attending to her while the other female barista turned to the new customer, a nice smile on her face as she asked what the customer wanted.

"A mocha, please." The voice was deep and velvety, each word beautifully pronounced with a hint of an accent that blended in with the British intonation. "I think I'd have that instead of an affogato. I've had enough sugar today."