06

"...so Ibrahim and I have agreed that since September is going to busy for me with school and all, we'll take things slowly to just kind of know each other better and also make decisions regarding the type of wedding we want and regarding everything else that'll come after."

It was Saturday morning and the Abdulaziz family sat around their dining table, leisurely eating breakfast of rice pudding while filling each other in on the latest developments.

"I think that's a good plan." Muhsin said, turning to his wife who nodded in agreement. He turned back to Ayra. "That way, you can finish up registration and documentation before you two provide the framework you'd want us to work with for the wedding and, like you said, for everything that comes after."

Ayra smiled, nodding after taking yet another spoon of the sweet dish. "Exactly!"

Salama lowered her spoon and used her napkin to clean her hands. "So, how has being engaged been so far?"

"God, Ummi!" Ayra let her head dramatically fall to the table, causing her parents to laugh. "It's beautiful, honestly." She picked her head back up. "Ibrahim's everything I've imagined and so much more. I think what I love most is how vocal he is with me. He's quiet to the whole world but when we're together, he talks a lot and I love it."

Her expression turned dreamy and she rested her face on the hand she propped up on the table. "He's doing better at explaining what he feels too, all for my sake, and it doesn't get better than that. Also, he's really attentive and he always ensures I'm comfortable. Honestly, I'm living my best life and I love it so, so much."

Salama mirrored her daughter's position; propping up a hand on the table and resting her face on it. "I feel like there's more."

Ayra's expression became sober and she sighed. "It's just crazy how elite his family actually is. It's intimidating sometimes, especially when I take a minute to really think about it." She smiled again. "But I know I'll be fine."

Muhsin reached out and put a hand on hers, smiling. "You will be fine. We have no doubt about it. Just keep being yourself."

"And do not get too swayed by everything." Salama added. "They're a very wealthy family and you're going to see it all come into play when the wedding plans are put into motion. While it's always nice when a lot of money and planning goes into a wedding, it's still you who has control over how most of the things should go so don't get swayed by the fact that they're elite. It doesn't matter how expensive things are going to be when they're shown to you; if you don't like it or you're not comfortable, then we don't have to go with any of the provided choices."

"But," Ayra shifted a little uncomfortably. "What if Ibrahim likes the choices? What happens then?"

"You shouldn't love someone more than you love yourself, Ayra." Muhsin said softly. "If Ibrahim loves something and you love it too, then that's fine. But if he loves something and you're not okay with it, you don't have to go through with it. Loving someone doesn't automatically mean loving everything they love, including the things you don't love. Differences are healthy in a relationship."

"As long as they're well communicated." Salama quickly added, smiling when Ayra turned her way. "Always love yourself before loving someone else, Leilani, because on the days that'll be hard, you can only be there for yourself. No one can be there for you if you're not there for yourself."

Muhsin nodded. "Exactly."

Salama rolled her eyes, still smiling. "Don't even start, Muhsin."

"I love you too."

Ayra laughed, feeling really light and really loved. "Don't start being all mushy here...I love you both. Thank you."

Like they always did since she was a kid, both Salama and Muhsin smiled warmly at her and told her she was welcome. The conversation then shifted to the date she and Ibtihaj had that night with Ibrahim's friends who'd become his second family.