From Latifah, With Love

"I want to write a book that doesn't have a happy ending because some men honestly don't deserve the women they're paired with."

Those weren't my exact words back then but that was the summary of the conversation I had with Nana Hauwa back in June or July, when I was finishing up Mrs Ahmed Shehu and bringing a close to the Dantata series.

As at that time, I had read books such as Catharina Maura's The Wrong Bride and boy, I was pissed that Raven ended up with Ares because there were so many times I told myself "She deserves better". Scenes from Lucy Score's Things We Never Got Over made me think that way too and also some other books I can't name off my head right now. The bottom line is that I wanted a story of a tainted man and a woman that knew she deserved better and I made sure to write it.

This book? It killed me. The Ibrahim I had in my head is way different from the one I ended up creating but I don't regret it because if this Ibrahim killed me, then I'm not sure I want to know how the original Ibrahim would have made me feel, especially with the scene I imagined when he lashed out at Ayra and called her a leech who did nothing more than enjoy his money while he worked hard for every single penny. I know, I know...That Ibrahim would have been heartwrenching and cruel and as wicked as I might seem, I wouldn't have been able to take it.

To women like Ayra, and women like me who have loved sincerely for years but things didn't work out because reality was way different from our fantasies, I hope you know that you deserve the entire world and everything it has to offer. The sky's only your beginning and you're going to shine brightly, no matter what and no matter how long it takes.

To every single person, I hope you know that it's okay to forgive but it's also okay to walk away, especially when you know that things would never be the same in the long run. It takes a lot of work to maintain a relationship whose sanctuary has been tainted and ruined but if you're strong enough for it, then I'm cheering you on. And if you know that you can't do it, then know that (no matter what anyone says), you're not a wicked person for walking away. You matter and you should ensure you take care of yourself before anyone else.

You're loved and In Shaa Allah, you're always going to be.

This is me wishing that this book means the world to you the way it meant the world to me. Thank you for your time and emotions and soon – by God's grace – I'll see you with book two where we'll have new characters and beautiful love stories. There's nothing better than presenting endless fluff (and a little angst!) to cure broken hearts. I'm excited to get started on that.

Until then, In Shaa Allah.

Love and Duas,

Latifah Efua Anavberokhai.