05

Less than a quarter of the long dining table was set for dinner; delicacies served on gold and silver platters. Ibrahim led Ayra and Ibtihaj into the room and right behind them were Fareeda and Salim, who'd arrived a minute after Ibrahim did.

Each person easily found a seat; Salim at the head of the table with Fareeda on his right and Ibrahim right beside her. Ayra and Ibtihaj sat on the opposite side; Ibtihaj right in front of Fareeda and Ayra right in front of her fiancé.

"I literally rushed home when Fareeda said you two were here." Salim said as he unfolded his napkin, as elegantly as ever. He spread it on his laps. "I've been pressing for a family dinner but no one seemed to be paying me any attention."

Ayra smiled warmly but before she could reply, Fareeda spoke. "I wanted to invite them over this weekend," She turned to her son. "But Ibrahim said he has some plans in place already."

Ayra and Ibtihaj turned towards Ibrahim who calmly helped himself with a glass of water, saying "Mum, you really know how to ruin surprises."

Salim laughed while Fareeda grinned. "As I should." She then faced the awaiting staff. "You can start serving, please."

Ibtihaj spoke very quietly as the two staff members moved. "Omo."

Ayra had to stop herself from saying "tell me about it". As they were served the entrée dish of Hoisin chicken rolls with dipping sauce, Salim turned to Ayra. "How do you feel about the date we set for the wedding, sweetheart?"

Her smile returned, wider than it had been. "It's perfect. It's the best way to celebrate the last Saturday of the year, and I love the fact that it's the holiday season so everyone can be able to attend without having to worry about getting a leave from work and all of that."

Fareeda turned to her son again. "You should learn from your fiancé, Ibrahim. Look at how well she's described how she feels."

Ibrahim rolled his eyes. "Mum, please. We've gone through this time and time again. It's not like your husband's any better."

Salim chuckled. "Well, I had to learn."

"And so will I." Ibrahim stated. "Let me do it at my own pace."

It was Fareeda's turn to roll her eyes. "You might to do so a little faster."

"Fareeda," Salim began. "It's okay." He then turned to Ibtihaj who'd exchanged amusedly curious looks with Ayra. "What about you, Ibty? How do you feel?"

Ibtihaj's grin was blinding. "I am very excited! I look forward to it."

Salim grinned too. "We do too...This is your first time here, right? I don't recall you two ever walking through these doors."

Ayra nodded. "It is. We were blown away, honestly. It's a beautiful property."

Salim nodded, bringing a roll to his mouth and taking a bite. He didn't speak until he'd chewed and swallowed. "It is. My parents were in love with mansions like this so they had one of the best companies in England recreate the Dawn Hill at Wentworth. It's a mansion built in the 1920's or thereabout."

Ayra couldn't hide her amazement. "Wow."

Salim chuckled. "Wow indeed. It's come in handy since it officially became mine and Fareeda's. It's held a lot of memories too." He then smiled at both Ayra and Ibtihaj. "And we look forward to making even new ones moving forward."

Excitement bubbled underneath Ayra's skin and she did her best to hide it so she didn't seem too eager to become an official member of their family. Beside her, Ibtihaj had a composed expression but deep inside, she was daydreaming about how she'd have the liberty to tour the property each time the opportunity presented itself.