Chapter two: listening

The summery weeks passed in a bliss that I had almost forgotten the things that had brought me here. That was until the training with this heap of smelly boys. There was that tiny annoying thing called Sihtric that just reminded me of everything that had hurt me so deeply. He represented everything I despised.

Gisela became my best friend. She bathed me. Cleaned all my wounds and dressed me in a colourful blouse with leather breeches. Beyond that she also had the kindest soul but had also a sassy side to her. I could see why Uthred liked her. Though he's denying it but I could see the way he looked at her.

"You know what the runes told me today?" She asked as she grabbed my arm when I had just gotten off training on a particularly hot day. "You stink like a sweaty pig. We should go bathe in the river. It is nice and warm"

"The bones talk to you? Gisela they say I'm mad but I think so are you" I giggled as we strolled towards a deeper part of the river. Far from the peering male eyes. "I would love a bath but I'm sure your brother insist that we take an escort"

"You're my escort" She told me as she already started undoing her gown but I stopped her when I heard voices from the river. I quietly unsheathed my sword and signed for Gisela to get behind me and be quiet. Corpse Claimer quietly hissed against his sheath.  I had regained my lovely sword. I had named it Corpse Claimer when I had realised that my life had been permanently saved. With every passing day I grew more into the sword. Taller than most of the boys and now matching them in strength equally as much. When I rounded the corner I was not met by a dangerous outlaw but by Clapas fat back. I gave his back a slap and pushed him into the river which gave a huge splash. It was Clapa, Rypere and of course Sihtric who had just surfaced from the murky dark water. Rypere was a sly creature with a ruthless side of pure wrath to him but he was equally as funny and kind to me. Just like Clapa, the gentle giant.

"You know Sihtric, winter is coming. If we want to slaughter you we'll have to fatten you" I called and Gisela beside me sniggered. He covered his skinny chest with his scrawny arms.

"I heard there is a storm coming. Be careful that you wouldn't blow away" Gisela joined me with a mean giggle. Sihtric exited the water with a hanging head which caused me to look anywhere else trying not to gawk at him. The daisy's were lovely by the river which were a welcome change to the naked boys. Gisela had a keen eye on the boys. She was far to interested in all of them. As she was just becoming a woman she wanted to know what the first love was like. That teenage love, that feeling of warmth in the belly. But she was looking for it in the wrong places. The boys were all to young and dumb. They quickly dressed as none of them wanted to interfere with Guthreds sisters wishes. If they were caught spying on us they would lose their eyes and their lives. 
Rypere was lingering about before I lifted the sword  he quickly jogged to catch up with his friends. He was a little naughty sometimes also eager to try himself out around girls. I'd beat it from him.
I resheated my sword before I stripped off my clothes and dove head-first into the river. Gisela followed giggling. I undid the leather bands from my short hair. It grew fast that it now reached my chin but Gisela always put it in little braids that hugged my skull tightly and kept anyone from grabbing my hair. The cool water was a great refreshment after a long day of training. Gisela approached me in the water looking to my chest. She touched the wound from the bottom of my throat to my belly bottom. It had been a gift from Sven when he had gotten his playtime with me.

"You're healing well" She said before she turned around to look at the wound on my shoulder. "This one doesn't look that well. You're using your shoulder to much" I chuckled before swimming to the other side of the river to jump from a log and dive into the cool water. When I came back up Gisela told me, "You know, you and Sihtrics scars look much alike" My smile faltered and I dove under the water again.