Chapter twenty: young love

The meadows were in full bloom when we walked to the river to bathe. We were chatting and laughing. So unlike prisoners.

The guards awarded their eyes when we slipped into the chilly water. Erik had a look every now and then but he never looked at me.  He was looking at Aethelflaed and it was bad because the way he was looking at her he'd do anything for her, he'd watch the world burn if it meant making her smile. He stared at as if he was in love.

"Aethelflaed what has been going on between you and Erik? My meeting with Sigefrid are dreadful" I asked her quietly as I washed my hair.

"He's been asking about my life at the palace. His English is fine but not great so it's a challenge to communicate" I looked at her with a raised eyebrow as I took the soap from her. They even gave us fucking soap.

"Aethelflaed judging from the way he looks at you it's very irrelevant what language you speak. You could probably speak Gaelic and he'd still look at you like you're the most precious thing in his life" I said with a mischievous tone. She splashed me with water.

"It's not like that" She argued but I silenced her. We were far enough not to be heard by the men.

"I know how it is. I see how it is. Also the way Aethelred treated you any danish men is like the perfect guy now. He hit you. Any man that shows you an ounce of kindness will have your heart. No offence princess but they treat their woman much better so I'm not blaming you for falling for him" I told her softly. She looked at me wide-eyed. "But tell me truthfully have you spent a night with him?" She flashed me a mischievous smirk before diving under the water. "Aethelflaed!" I yelled after her in shook. That naughty little girl.

That night she also didn't come to our cell which was one of the man separate halls that Beomfleot had. She spend the night somewhere else with someone else. I tried not to dwell on the fact but I felt scared. I was not used to sleeping alone anymore. I needed Sihtric by my side. I needed my husband. I hugged my arms around me and held myself. My head could not comprehend that I missed him. I missed Sihtric. It was not just a feeling there was an actual physical longing in my heart. The place that he had calmed as his own.

The next day they came. It was Uthred with Sihtric, Steapa and what looked to be a priest who had come to the fort. My heart swelled with joy when I saw Sihtric. I quietly spoke his name because I couldn't help myself and I know that Sigefrid noticed. I was stood next to Haesten who held my shackles. I know he noticed and I hated it because it was a weakness.

"Kendra is here to pledge that Aethelflaed is unharmed" Erik spoke and Haesten tugged on my chain to nudge me forward. Everyone looked at me expectantly.

"She is well and unharmed" I pledged and was pulled back. Uthred was challenged to fight a Dane the size of a mountain but Steapa stepped in. The fight was gruesome but after the first punch was thrown I was pulled back. I yelped in fear before I managed to make out Sihtric. He hugged me tightly and I let out a breath in relief.

"I'm glad you're fine. Has anyone hurt you?" He asked full of worry but I was just so relieved to see him.

"I'm fine. They're treating us well oddly enough. I'm just so grateful to see your face. I've missed you so much" I told him as I cupped his face with my shackled hands.

"I missed you to. Every day and every night. Sihtric is fine but he misses you he wants to know where mommy went" I almost cried when he told me that.

"I miss him to. So much you have no idea" I hugged him again tightly. I longed for his touch. Longed to never let him go again but I was acutely aware that Haesten was keeping an eye on us. I did not want to put Sihtric in danger by publicising our relationship to the enemy. I stepped closer to the fight again.