Cahpter fifteen: have trust, Kendra

Aethelred, or as I lovingly called him robin, took time when arriving with his men in Coccham. I moved in with Sihtric. I helped him construct a bed that could be hidden in a closet within moments so that I wouldn't be taking up space in his own bed. I still felt like I was imposing on him that we lived together. Other than that we usually got along fine which was odd. And we trained. The training was hard but I enjoyed it.

Finan challenged me for a training round after we were done pretending to be in a shield wall. Shield wall wasn't horrible because I was relatively tall and so could easily reach over shields to kill my opponent. Finan never the less challenged me to open combat. He wanted to show off to the new youngsters, the ones even younger than Sihtric and I. Osferth, Alfred's bastard was among the watching boys. Finan dove in for a quick attack but I blocked him and kicked him. It was a meek kick but enough to throw off his balance. He was angered now so I knew that he'd swing at me so I ducked instead of blocking him and gave him a jab in the rib. This little dance was fun but in a real battle this wouldn't help so I dove in for the kill. Finan knew it and was quick to go around me. I'd seen that coming so I dove low and quickly grabbed his ankles. I was smirking in victory when I held my staff to his throat. This attack wouldn't work with any man because Finans fatal fall was that he was the same height as me. I helped him up as I gazed towards our audience.

"It's like she can read his mind and know what he'll do" Osferth quietly commented. He was a shy boy but he liked Gisela and I very much and so I knew he had a sweet soul. He wasn't cut out to be a warrior but perhaps Finan could hone him into one. I heard Sihtric chuckle.

"Want me to put me on your ass next?" I asked Sihtric who cockily watched with crossed arms. Dare I say I was a better fighter than he was but with some experience he could become great because he was quick, strong and usually focused on teamwork.

"Oh don't bother now you can do that tonight in our bed" He said loud enough for everyone to hear. I blushed. There was a visiting priest striding by and he looked as if he'd just seen a ghost. I raised an eyebrow, the priest still didn't move. Eventually he hurried off to see Uthred but I followed because he was staring and I'd like payment for his rudeness.

"It is none of my business lord Uthred-" The priest started after their usual chattery introduction on why he was here.

"You're right it isn't so keep your mouth shut" Uthred said. The priest Alfred send seemed to intimate him little.

"A married woman in your household troops. This is blasphemy!" The priest was going red I could spy that thru the window. Uthred laughed. The priest must've spied the ring on my finger.

"You'd like her to show you her skills? Step in Kendra" Uthred said. I had made it obvious that I was ears dropping when I moved the jute curtain aside.

"Yes lord?" I said innocently as I eyed the priest like a hunter would eye its prey.

"You shall have her removed at once. If your husbands finds out that you're neglecting your wifely duties!" The priest looked like an angry little troll.

"Her husband is part of my household guard as well and I do believe that you're overstepped, Father Cuthbert" Uthred said and dismissed me.

But Alfred's acute eye on me did not let go. I felt that all his priest were always looking at me somewhat. The robin did arrive when the flowers were starting to bloom somewhere in April. I was excited to finally march to battle but I did not expect the detail we were put through at the expense of Aethelreds comfort. Aethelflaed was there too which made me happy but I did not get to see her often as I was just barely part of Uthreds household guard and she was the wife of the lord of Mercia.