Chapter three: Eoferwic

Soon we rode for Eoforwic to extend the rule of Giselas brother. We also met Ivarr after his defeat by the Scots. He was here licking his wounds and I wanted to kill him. Ivarr Ivarsson was the son of the man who had bought my mother and killed her before he himself died in Ireland. They had called him Ivarr the Boneless when he had bought a score of slaves from Kjartan. Back then my father had already rebelled and refused to work for Kjartan anymore but after a whipping and a coaxing he got back to work. Ironic after all. I wonder how my father was doing now. He was probably rebelling again as Uthred had spiked the dead heads in front of Dunholms gate. No one would tell my father that Sihtric and I weren't among the dead. Even then we probably suffered a worse death, he'd assume. But we didn't we were indeed doing fine. Most of the time at least.

Uthred was doing individual fighting sessions with us that summer day. He was specially targeting those whom he liked and deemed talented. This was my chance to tell him what I had heard in the church. But there was the danger that he wouldn't believe me and hang me instead. So I had to keep it vague with him. But I had truly begun to admire lord Uthred. Not only was he a great teacher but also a great friend. I had sworn myself to him. That I would serve him until my days on this earth should pass. Ratboy Sihtric had done the same so I was stuck with him if I did not kill him first.

First Uthred he targeted Rypere who was actually doing extremely well. He was quick but his technique was sloppy that he got hit about the head with the staff about twice. Clapa had no technique and no speed but an advantage with his huge size that he simply tackled Uthred. We found it very amusing but he did not. We all received a hit about the head with the staff. Then it was Sihtrics turn. He looked worried when he held the staff. He always looks worried because he is a little weakling.

"Footwork Sihtric" Uthred told him as he dodged another hit but tumbled because his feet were to close together. Sihtric thought about his feet and landed a hit on Uthreds waist.

"I apologise lord" He said but was immediately hit with the staff but didn't go down. The sticks crashed with a loud banging but Sihtric was no match for Uthreds strength. It made me think back to his gorgeous back muscles. I was distracted to I missed the next move. But then Uthred swung at Sihtrics head but he was to quick. I hate to admit it but Sihtric wasn't bad at all. He was shy and unsure of every move he made but he was good. Yet eventually Uthred put him on his ass and called me forward. Sihtric handed me his stick with a sour mood.

"I have to talk to you after this" I told Uthred before I got into fighting stance. He nodded confused but kept quiet. So I had a very well constructed plan. I would pretend to hit him in the ribs quickly but then use his moment of angry distraction to slip through his defences, behind him and hit him in the back. It worked well but he also turned around and hit me on the rib that Clapa had broke months before which knocked the wind from my lungs. It distracted me because I went half down and had to clutch my side while I tried to catch me head. Just as I was going to lift my head Uthred hit me in the mouth with his staff and gave me a bloody lip. Now anger rose within me. I was hurting and I was better than to let him get away with it. I was down but I rolled and wrapped my staff behind Uthreds calves and then quickly pulled the staff back towards me sending him tumbling in his shiny armour. He gasped and looked shocked.

"You play dirty" He argued as I extended my hand to pull him up as well. "It's good Kendra. A Saxon lord might fight like a fine swordsman and show honour but the Dane's fight dirty and you have to match that in order to survive. Good girl" I smiled brightly as he slapped me on the shoulder. I put the staffs away before walking to Uthred again. "You wanted to talk to me?" I nodded and motioned for us to walk a little bit. "I thought you liked the Danes? Why are you telling us that they fight dirty?" I asked because I was curious.

"I love the Danes for they do everything with passion. But we have to match that. Surely that's not the reason why you wanted to talk to me?" He asked. I shock my head.

"Lord I'm afraid but I overheard something back in Cair Lingualid. Guthred said that he wanted to get rid off you in exchange for two hundred spearman" I confessed but Uthred just laughed dryly. He was faking his confidence I could tell.

"I'm not attached to him. If he wants to get rid off us we will find another place to live, another king to serve" I nodded hesitantly even if u could not entirely agree with his words. There was bitterness in his voice. It was not simply that easy. Perhaps for him as he was of high birth but we were all bastards and low born. "You're safe no matter what if that's what you're concerned about" I laughed. If Uthred was gone I did not know how safe I could be. "What? The boys will keep you safe. You like their company don't you?" I did not know what he was implying. Perhaps that I was a little maneater. I chuckled at my own pun pathetically.

"If I could ever like a heap of stinking dogs that is" I chuckled but Uthred remained frowning.

"Aren't you fast friends with Sihtric and-" I burst out in a dry laughter yet again.

"With all due respect but I would choose a pig over Sihtric any day. I hate him lord" He raised an eyebrow. "He is Kjartans bastard. He represents everything I hate and if I could rid myself of him I would" I denied the pull on my heart every time he came near or peered in my direction. It was all just imaginary anyway.

"That is a stupid reason to hate him. I hate many people to but that is because they're goat turds. You cannot hate him for his blood" Uthred said unusually soft but I just I scoffed.

"I do hate him because he has also a number of negative attributes" He chuckled then as we were met by Gisela. She was probably awaiting me but now her eyes were shining for Uthred. I left them to walk with each other. I just hoped she wouldn't talk of the chicken bones again.

The next day Uthred disappeared. Guthred and a score of other men had ridden out towards the beach and they let Uthred disappear. I wanted to know what's going on a few nights later during a little meeting in the large church. We had gotten a new high born lord to train us but he was so arrogant that I immediately forgot his name.

"Where is Uthred?" I demanded when Guthred told us that lord so-and-so would now train us.

"He's left us" Guthred simply said and tried moving on from the topic.

"Bullshit!" I stood from my seat with my hand instinctively on my sword. "I want to know where he is and where we can find him"

"Sit down" Sihtric in the seat in front of me growled as he looked to the table trying to stay undercover. I must admit that was probably the smarter move. He wanted to stay as quiet as possible because we had no one left to protect us. We were still sort of Guthreds guard but we were the very bottom of the food chain. Bastards and neglects.

"Anyone want to tame that bitch?" Ivar said quietly but I still heard him. I stepped on the table and down on the other side before drawing my sword and pointing it at Ivar Ivarsson.

"What was that?" I asked equally as quiet as his men pointed his weapons on me as well. "I dare you speak again and I will end your bloodline right here" I looked at his son.

"I will not let you insult my father like this" Ivarr junior cut in and pointed a crooked sæx at me. "I challenge you"

"To what? A game of taffle? I'm afraid I shall stick the pieces so deep in your behi-" I started but was interrupted by Guthred hitting the table loudly at the end of the hall.

"Enough! I will not allow such insolence in my presence. There will be no fighting!" Guthred decided and I sheathed my sword. Ivarrs men did the same.

I went to bed angry then. The men could easily find me and do something bad to me in my sleep but I shared a tent with Gisela so no one would dare.