Chapter four: fuck Sihtric

The next day I already woke up in a bad mood. I hate Sihtric but I think I might just hate Ivarr even more.

We were summoned for combat training at dawn. I was first up against Rypere but I was distracted.

I was looking out to the horizon thinking of Uthred. I need to know where he is. Perhaps I should consult in Hild, his nun friend. Rypere readying his arms pulled me from my thoughts. He was the one to strike first. With what was supposed to be a killing blow with the wooden stick he went to strike me across the head. I blocked him and hit him sassily in the ribs. It knocked the wind from his lungs but he didn't stop. He went for my  legs but I was too nimble. I kicked him in the stomach and brought the stick down to strangle him.

"I yield" He gasped and I let him go. I gave him a hand to pull him up.

The sun was dying like a red ball of fire on the horizon when we finished training. The dark was licking at the trees up on the hills which meant the muddy training field was already bathed in darkness. I was still out cleaning my sword and oiling my leather vest so that I wouldn't look to shabby if I would challenge Ivarr junior tomorrow. I wouldn't let that slide. It was my chance to get revenge for his grandfathers crimes.

Someone suddenly stood in front of me which darkened the shadow that fell on me.

"I want to challenge you" Sihtric told me in his whiny voice as he threw a wooden staff at my feet. When would puberty hit this boy that his voice would lose his whiny, annoying tone? Perhaps I was just agitated but he was the last person I wanted to see today.

"And I want to ride a unicorn into the sunset and only ever eat cake but that isn't going to happen so fuck off, boy" I said without even sparing him a gaze as I continued to cleaning my gear.

"Kendra" He signed cockily. If this was how this was going to go so be it. "What have I ever done to you that you despise me so much?" He muttered softly, oddly enough. I exhaled as well as I got up taking the staff with me. I had recently had a growth spurt so I was just an inch taller than he was and it boosted my ego immensely.

"What have you done?" I asked sarcastically as I quickly let the staff hit his so that his fingers were in between. He winced. Weak little boy. "First of all you're your fathers son" I swiped him across the head. "Secondly you're annoying and whiny" I swept at his feet but he interjected me. Not bad, I hated it.

"My blood is not my fault" He said weakly as the staffs clashed again. I was about to scream but I just huffed out a breath.

"But it is" I said as I attacked him viciously hitting him in the face twice."if it wasn't for you, I'd be rid of his memory. Rid of all the things he's done to me" I hit him again. "Rid of you" I said quietly as I mindlessly smacked at him. That was my mistake because my anger blinded my defense that meant he was able to sweep my feet from under me and send me on my back. Beginner error, happens to the best of us. He was quick that he straddled me and I was screaming as I tried hitting him across the head but he tore the staff from me and threw it out of my reach. The screaming turned to crying as he grabbed my wrists and pinned them in the mud. My eyes widened. I felt so helpless and useless as he was on top of me.  Fuck this. Fuck him. I bucked my hips and brought him down. If Uthred is not here to protect me I'll protect myself. Now I was straddling him and grabbed his throat to choke him to death at last. I pushed him head into the mud by the throat and took out the emotions I was feeling on his throat and squeezed as I could. "You're a dead man" I promised as I leant down to watch the light fate from his dual coloured eyes. Suddenly he pushed against my hands that our heads collided. Or rather our lips as he kissed me. Was this his plan all along? I went completely numb as I felt his warm, soft lips on mine moving softly. My grip also faltered and my body melted to his for a second in a moment of weakness where my body acted before my mind could but then I remembered everything, who he was, who I was, what I stood for and the feeling of pure disgust overcame me that I almost wretched into his mouth . I balled my fist and hit him in the face repeatedly. I couldn't stop I was blind with fury. When my right grew tired I used my left even if his face was unrecognisable from the blood already. I got off him and kicked at him repeatedly in his ribs. "You're just like your father. In time I'll make sure you met the proper fate" That was a cruel promise. I spat in the mud next to him before I ran towards the settlement as quick as I could. He stayed in the mud. Perhaps he was already dead because I had crashed his skull.