ONE

Amara

"WHERE IS IT!"

I sit on the couch with a romance novel in my face trying to read as my roommate, Amanda, goes feral trying to find her lost vape.

"MARAAAAA!" She yells looking over at me.

I look over the top of my book at her.

"Please help me find it!" She pleads.

I sigh and close my book, laying it at my side.

"Alright, where was it last?" I ask as I stand.

She points to the couch, "Here, I hit it while watching TV and I went to hit it again, but it was gone!"

I raise an eyebrow as I walk over towards her, "Well, it must be on the couch, maybe under it? Vapes just don't grow legs and walk away."

She scoffs before placing her hands under the couch and flipping it over. I jump back to avoid it hitting me. "There must have been a better way to do that." I mumble as she dives on her knees looking for it.

I wish this was a rare occurrence, but since Amanda moved in last year, she has lost her vape weekly.

Watching her lose her mind over flavored air is enough reason to never start smoking.

That was judgmental.

I jump as Amanda stands again holding it up. "Found it!"

And after she takes a hit off it, just like magic, she's calm.

I shake my head sitting back down and grabbing my book. "Will you admit you are addicted now?"

She flips the couch back upright and begins to fix the cushions and pillows. "No way, I can stop anytime."

I look at her with a raised eyebrow. "Amanda, you just flipped a couch trying to find it."

She pauses her movements, looking from side to side before shrugging. "That is because I did not want to stop. If I really wanted to, I would."

I nod as my phone rings, causing me to perk up seeing my Boyfriend's name pop up on my phone.

"Cody! Hey!" I answer.

Cody and I have been together for 3 months and so far, things are great. We met at a party and since then, we have been completely smitten with each other.

"Hello love," He answers calmly. "I was wondering if you would want to come over tonight? I can order us some pizza and we can watch a movie, yeah?"

I can't stop the smile that spreads across my face. "Yeah, sounds amazing!"

I can hear him smiling as he says, "Perfect, come over at...8, is that good?"

"Yeah, that's perfect, I'll be there."

"Wonderful, see you then."

I hung up the phone and glanced at the time.

6:57 pm

I have been to Cody's before, and he only lives about 15 minutes away, so I stand as I go to get ready.

Some more time passes and I'm ready to go, I'm not wearing any makeup since it seems like a chill night, and I throw on an oversized shirt with some red checkered soft pajama shorts. For my hair, I just tied it up in a messy ponytail with a black ribbon.

"Where are you off to?" Amanda asks as she fixes her sandwich on the kitchen island.

"To Cody's, I should be back tonight, but if not, I'll be back early in the morning," I tell her as I grab my keys from the island.

She nods as she points her butterknife at me. "Best behavior Mara," she says with a sarcastic stern voice.

I laugh and nod as I open the front door, "Yes ma'am."

Amanda and I aren't really best friends, but we are friends. I was always hesitant to get a roommate, but once I was fresh out of college, with my lower-paying job, and because rent in New York is not cheap, I couldn't afford rent on my own. Which forced me to get a roommate. I looked for 2 months before finding Amanda and I'm so glad I did. She is 5'4, has blonde hair, blue eyes, and 22. I couldn't ask for a better person to live with. She cleans after herself, always locks the house after she leaves, is quiet during the night, and most importantly, she never eats my food.

I am not quite sure what she does for work, I think crypto or something. She told me once, but I was in the middle of an action scene in my book, so I wasn't really listening.

Once I get to Codys I lightly knock at the door. After some shuffling and groaning he finally opens the door.

"Hey!" He says out of breath, his hair is messy, and he is slightly red.

"Hey, you okay?" I ask.

He nods and laughs a bit. "Yeah...I uhm, I forgot you were coming over, and...something came up." He admits.

"Oh, that's okay, I can go?" I say while turning around to leave.

"Wait! N-No just uhm, stay here, I shouldn't be long. I can order the pizza before I leave, and I promise I will be back before it is delivered!" He says as he grabs my arm.

I nod as he leads me inside. I sit on the couch as he fumbles with the phone, clearly in a hurry before he nods and places it back in his pocket. He grabs a black duffle bag before rushing a "Bye! Be back soon! I promise!" as he goes out the door.

I wish I was surprised. After about a month of us being together, he has been rushing off, forgetting dates, and going MIA for hours. I have just put it off as maybe he has some family drama that has been keeping him away, but it has been two months of this now and I am starting to wonder what is really going on.

After about 30 minutes or so the pizza arrives, I sigh as I walk to the door and thank the delivery guy as I hand him a tip, and close the door.

I put the pizza on the counter and sit back on the couch.

He should be back any minute now, right?

"I can order the pizza before I leave, and I promise I will be back before it is delivered!"

I glance at the pizza as I hear his words in my head.

After a few more minutes I groan, realizing he isn't going to be back anytime soon. So, I reach over and turn the TV on, planning on wasting time watching something.

The TV is already on the news, and I watch as they show a building with police surrounding it. I listen to the reporter as she explains that a man has 3 children held captive inside.

After a few more minutes the camera cuts to a green streak in the sky before a man in a green suit appears and lands on the top of the building.

I perk up, my interest fully in the TV now as the report shouts that "The Mist" has come to save the day.

The Mist

He's a guy who has been saving the city for about a year.

His first appearance was when he saved a kid from a burning building, and ever since he has stuck around.

He wears a dark green suit with a gold mask over his eyes. The only features that you can see are his lips and dark hair. We don't know all his abilities, but we do know that he can evaporate into green mist, which is where he gets his name. He can also appear and disappear in different spots. As far as his fighting skills, he seems to be very good at combat, his only weapon is a dark green metal rod with gold wire wrapped down it.

Since he has been saving the city, the crime rate has dropped significantly. They call him the savior of the city, which I think is cheesy, but hey, to each their own right?

I watch as The Mist takes out his metal rod and breaks a hole in the roof. He disappears inside and after a few short minutes, he walks out of the door with one kid on his hip, the other holding his hand, and the last one walking in front of him. He hands the kids off to the parents I'm assuming before pointing inside, letting the police know they can go inside and grab the man.

The Mist has done it again, I see.