EIGHTEEN

Amara

I watched Jackson as he told the horrors of his past. His story was one of the most heartbreaking things I had heard. When he finished, I placed my arm on his shoulder. I did not know what to say.

"You do not have to say anything, darling." He said when he saw I wasn't going to speak. "It all happened long ago, and I have gotten over it."

"Have you?" I asked.

That seemed to stumble him. "What?"

"Gotten over it I mean. Things like that...you don't really just get over it. It is just something you get through."

He seemed puzzled. He just sat there and studied me. "Yes, I suppose you are correct." He mumbled under his breath, seemingly more towards himself than me.

We sat there like that for a few seconds in silence, just staring at each other. His gaze flicked down to my lips and for a second, I caved, letting mine flicker to his as well.

I could feel the shift in the energy and suddenly found myself attracted to him like a moth to the flame.

"You are quite possibly the most interesting person I have ever come across." He whispered, his minty breath blowing on my face softly.

"The other day...you said I deserved so much more. What did you mean by that?" I ask.

He doesn't hesitate to answer, "I meant for everything. You deserve nothing less than extraordinary. You deserve whatever job you desire the most, the most loyal friends, and a partner who would never do wrong to you. Someone who wouldn't lie to you, someone that the mere thought of losing you could send them into shambles."

My breath catches for a moment. Was that a dig to Cody? But was he wrong? Cody had lied to me; he had nearly lost me a few times. Was it wrong to stay with him hoping for some personality switch overnight? Or should I seek someone I deserve...someone better?

Jackson slowly leans in, but he stops before I can even stop him. He retracts as if he just remembered I am taken and not his. But nothing could hide that look in his eyes, desire.

"We should head out, yes?" He asks as he stands.

"Uhm, yeah, yeah we probably should." He holds his hand out as he helps me to stand.

After a few minutes, we packed everything and headed back to town. He walks me home and stops at my apartment door. "I meant what I said, Amara." He whispers just before I am about to open the door.

"Meant what?" I ask.

"That you deserve better. Goodnight Amara."

That was all he said before walking away. As soon as I opened the door, I was met with Amanda standing suspiciously close.

"Uhm, hey?" I say awkwardly.

"I agree with him, you know." She says with her arms crossed. "You do deserve better."

I roll my eyes and move past her towards the kitchen as I pour myself a glass of water from the filter.

"Eavesdropping is rude you know." It was all I could think to say.

Amanda shrugs. "When have I ever cared about being rude? It's in my DNA."

I nod. "I can tell. But Cody he...he's going through a lot." It was nature to defend him. But I still can't get over him being out with Maria.

Jackson

I had her. I could have kissed her. Would she have pulled away? Why didn't I? Wasn't my entire plan to make her fall for me and crush The Mist in the process? I could have secured everything, my whole plan.

But I pulled away. Me.

And I know exactly why.

Because she isn't single. I could not bring myself to kiss her knowing she belonged to someone else. Which can only mean...I have fallen for her. Perhaps not love...but...there are feelings there. The one thing I promised myself to never do. The thought makes me hate myself. I should distance myself from her. Find another way to take Mist down, but I don't want to.

I am a selfish man.

Cody

It should have been a normal day. It has been 2 days since I went to the field with Maria. I never want to admit this out loud but, I felt something. A connection with her. But I love Mara and I can't let her down. So I've since distanced myself from Maria. I told her we should stop lessons, at least for now, and that I was a loyal man. She said she understood and I have not been in contact with her for days.

However, as I stand I see up ahead a huge commotion. I walk faster to get a better look and when I finally do I see the Statue of Liberty. At the top, right on the crown, there are two people. From here I can not tell who they are or what gender.

I quickly find an alleyway and change into my attire before misting to the top. I am so shocked at who I see up there I nearly fall off the side. It's Maria and a little boy. She is on her knees holding the little boy's hand as he over the ledge. Crying and screaming for her to pull him up.

I immediately rush into action, grabbing Maria and helping her pull the little boy up. Once I finally get them I feel better. The little boy seems somewhat scared of Maria but that's probably because he just went through something traumatic.

"Hey, it's oka-" I barely get out the words before the kid is wrapping his small arms around my leg. He can not be no more than 6. I bend down and hug him properly. "Thank you." He mumbles through his tears.

I look up at Maria to ask what happened when suddenly she's looking behind me with a terrified look.

I turn to find the bane of my existence.

"Phantom."

"Mist."

"I'm guessing this is your work?"

He looks offended. "Me? I did not do this. I saw all the commotion from below and wanted to..."

He stays silent before shaking his head. "Never mind, I'll just be on my wa- "

But he doesn't get to finish his sentence. The little boy had fallen over the edge and was now plummeting to his death. "NO!" I scream as I go to jump after him before I see Maria as well trip over her own footing, it all happens so fast. One minute she's standing, the next she's hanging onto the edge for dear life, literally.

Phantom must notice I'm torn because he shouts, "Get the girl, I will go after the boy."

I don't even have time to argue before he is gone. I quickly bend down and grab Maria's hand. Once I have pulled her up, she wraps her arms around my neck and sobs uncontrollably. I hold her tight and whisper to her everything will be okay.

But if Phantom didn't do this, who did?