TWO

Cody

I walk around into the alleyway, throw down the duffle bag, and shorten my rod, sliding it inside the bag. I go to take off my mask before I hear a step behind me. I quickly turn around to see a man in black pants, a tight black shirt, and a leather jacket over that. He had on his usual mask that resembled something you would see in the purge, only his resembled a skull. As always, he was geared with black leather gloves and his black boots.

"Phantom." I mutter.

"Changing in a dirty alleyway after a fight? I honestly can't believe you can even call yourself a hero." He says in a mocking voice.

I have been dealing with Phantom ever since I started protecting New York. What the public doesn't know is that Phantom started the fire that I had to rescue those kids from. Those kids lost their parents and nearly their own lives because of what he had done that night.

Since then, the guy has never liked me, the feeling is mutual.

"What do you want now?" I ask, already annoyed. I'm sure Amara is already upset that I am late and every second I spend talking with this idiot the longer I am away from her.

"Nice little show that you put on out there." He says pointing in the direction I just came from with his gloved finger.

"Thanks, glad you're a fan." I mumble.

Phantom laughs before shaking his head. "A fan? No...I don't think so."

Before I know it Phantom takes a lighter from his back pocket, after it ignites, he blows the flame causing it to come right at me quickly.

I barely have time to jump to the side as I pull out my rod from my bag, flipping it around my fingers for.... dramatic effect?

"Okay, I see someone did not come for a friendly chat." I say as I walk towards him swinging my rod at his head, he, of course, dodges and kicks me in the side, I hit the concrete wall before pushing myself off. I turn to see Phantom leaning against the other wall facing me. He brings his gloved hand up to cover his mouth as he fakes a yawn. "And here I thought I would be putting in the work tonight.

I groan as I use my mist to disappear and appear again beside him. I grab his arm and throw him over my shoulder before kneeling and punching him a few times. I raise him up and slam his head into the ground with as much force as possible. I go to do so again but he grabs my hand and throws me over him.

I lose my balance and before I know it, he's throwing another fireball at me. I try to dodge but the orange flame hits my shoulder causing me to wince in pain.

It was at times like these I wish I could see Phantom's face. Was he even bleeding?

I see Phantom walking towards me, but I quickly stand, ignoring the burning pain in my left shoulder.

Just as he's getting closer, I pull a knife from my boot and throw it at his shoulder. He grabs it and groans as he pulls the blade out, while he's distracted with that, I grab my rod and hit him over the head with it. He falls to the ground with a thud.

Finally.

I walk over to him and roll him over with my foot.

"Still bored?" I ask.

"Immensely" He spits out before grabbing my boot and pulling, leading me to falling. When I finally sat up and looked for him, he was gone.

"Shit..." How does he get away so fast?

I'm looking into the alleyway deeper, considering trying to go after him but I remember Amara.

"Double shit!"

**

"Amara, hey I'm so- "I began apologizing as I closed the door behind me and dropped my duffel bag. But I saw she was curled up on the couch with the pizza box beside her, half gone. The TV was showing some show I'd never seen, and the lights were off.

I walk over and sit beside her with a sigh.

She must have woken from me sitting down because when I looked at her again, she was awake.

"Hey, Amara I'm sorry. I lost track of time."

She raises her hand and waves me off as she stretches a bit, tucking a strand of hair that fell out of her ponytail behind her pierced ear. "It's okay, really." She says softly.

I truly don't deserve her.

"But...Cody, can I ask you something?"

I move closer to her on the couch and nod as I grab her hand and hold it in mine. "Of course love."

"Is there another woman?"

My eyebrows raised so far that I'm sure they touched my hairline. "What..?"

She sighs as she removes her hand from mine. "You leave suddenly, always hide your phone when you get a text or call, forget dates, come home looking disheveled, and leave with a bag." She nods her head towards the door where my duffel bag sits.

I sigh and don't answer. What do I even say? I haven't even realized I've been this suspicious.

"Do you not trust me love?" I ask.

Amara scoffs. "I do, but I can't be stupid when the signs are all there."

"Really? You think I would cheat on you?" I ask as I stand.

"Cody, I've known you for 3 months! I don't know!" She says while also standing.

"You don't have to jump to conclusions!"

"Conclusions? I asked you very calmly if you were seeing someone else. I never assumed you were. I was hoping you could give me an explanation." She says while crossing her arms.

"Well, it's none of your business!" I yelled out. I immediately regret the words that came out of my mouth as I see her shrink and tears well up in her brown eyes.

"Mara I'm-"

"No." She cuts me off. "I get it, your life is none of my business. I think I'll just go. You clearly have had a busy night, and you need rest. Thank you for the pizza." She says as she walks to the kitchen counter and grabs her keys and bag before walking out of the door.

I wanted to stop her. But I think we both need to cool off and I need time to come up with an answer to her question anyway. How was I even going to answer? I can't just let her believe I'm seeing another woman behind her back. That is the farthest thing from my character.

I slowly walk into the bathroom and handle a quick shower before changing into sleeping pants and heading to bed with nothing but Amara in mind.