EIGHT

Jackson

"Nope, nope, nope. Absolutely not! Someone, please get her out of here!" I yell immediately as I walk into my office and see Emily.

"Jackson! MY SHOES ARE MISSING YOU INTOLERANT SHIT!" She says as she stomps her heel onto the floor.

"You are a brat, Emily. If your shoes are missing, then GO FIND THEM YOUR FUCKING SELF AND LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE!" I scream. I have enough stress without Emily and her brattiness over some replaceable shoes.

My doors open and my brother walks in.

"What the hell is all the screaming about?" He asks

"My SHOES ARE GONE AND JACKSON REFUSES TO HELP!" Emily screams with a voice crack.

"Why don't you just resolve it yourself?" He asks.

Emily screams again before storming out of the room.

"FINE ILL KILL HER MYSELF BUT IF I GET BLOOD ON MY SKIRT YOU BOTH ARE PAYING FOR IT!" We hear her scream from down the hall.

I roll my eyes and walk over, sitting behind my desk.

"What is going on with you?" My brother asks.

I look at him confused as he speaks again.

"Usually you can put up with Emily for a lot longer, and you end up caving in and giving her what she wants anyway."

I scoff. "Because I have bigger issues than shoes."

He smirks as leans down to my level from the other side of the desk.

"Got girl problems, brother?"

I shove him away. "No. I have a Mist problem. I could have killed him tonight. I had him right there, beaten down and gasping for air for his pathetic lungs." I light a cigarette and bring it to my lips, inhaling the nicotine.

"Hm. Why didn't you?" He asks

It's a good question. But if I tell him it's because she did not deserve it...well...that would be far more difficult to explain.

"I was tired."

He raises an eyebrow. "You were tired?"

I nod. "Yes, he wasn't even giving me a fun fight. He was very easy to fight and I was growing bored and tired."

He solely nods. "Riiight, okay, well how are things with his bitch?"

I immediately shoot him a glare before controlling myself and focusing on the papers on my desk. "Things are progressing. Now please, leave me alone and make sure our sister doesn't burn her house down trying to kill her maid."

He exhales and slowly walks out leaving me to my thoughts.

Thoughts of her

Cody

Here I was.

Sitting in my kitchen alone, icing my face with a bottle of vodka beside me.

I glance at the bottle.

Half a bottle of vodka.

I wince as I turned to grab the bottle, my side shooting the pain. The cops had too many questions that I wouldn't have been able to answer without revealing myself as The Mist. I told them a robber had broken in. It is New York, so they believed it telling me they would investigate, but I knew they wouldn't.

After, I was rushed to the hospital where I had several stitches in my arm and side. I should have fucking killed him, but my mind was on other things.

I heard my phone ringing before seeing Amara's name pop up. I roll my eyes before declining it.

How dare she go through my things and then get upset at me?

I was trying to protect her and myself!

I grab the bottle and take another drink before chasing it with coke.

And then Phantom storms in and beats the living shit out of me. Throwing that hit at the end by saying the only reason he didn't kill me was because someone cared. How did he know where I live? Who is this someone? Amara? Can't be. They don't know each other!

I am completely off my game, but Phantom has never put up a fight like that. He's usually not the easiest but he is doable. But tonight, he was...filled with rage.

I pick my phone up and call Amara back.

After a few rings, she finally answers.

"Yes?" She asks.

"Mara, I'm sorry okay? Listen, can we meet tomorrow? At the café?"

I hear her shuffle a bit from the other side of the phone before she sighs. "Fine. 3 pm, the café. Don't be late." And with those words, she hangs up.

I drop my phone back on the counter and go through my thoughts.

I need to stop focusing on Phantom right now. My attention needs to be on Amara. I need to fix this.

As I lay in bed that night, all that was on my mind was her and how I was going to fix this.

**

As I woke up the next morning all that I could hear was my phone blasting an alarm. I grab it to quickly find an amber alert. 

Missing four-year-old girl. Last seen in a 2021 blue Chevy. 

I groan knowing I have plans with Mara. 

Who needs me more? 

I sigh before throwing my phone on the bed and moving around to change into my suit.

Mara, please forgive me...