FIVE

Jackson

"I am telling you that no good will come out of this confrontation!" Clary said from behind, following me to my destination.

"I don't pay you to question my work. I pay you to guide." I told the yapping blonde.

"Yes, sir, of course. But- "

"But nothing. Go shut down the cameras. Preferably in time." I interrupt.

The girl stops and rolls her eyes before nodding. "As you wish."

30 minutes later I am on the rooftop, overlooking the city. I knew he would be here, somewhere in between buildings. Trying to save something.

Before I could even think I felt a shot in my head. I bring my hand up to rub the aching pain, but I trip over the ledge and begin to fall, hitting my head on the concrete building before breaking my fall with a dumpster in an alleyway.

I immediately felt dizzy. I stand up slowly but begin to feel nauseous as I feel like I'm drifting into the ground.

The Mist walks out of the shadows. "Following me Phantom? What a shame."

I scoff, "You wish!" I furrow my brows, my head feeling foggy. I wonder if that hit to my head did something.

I suddenly feel the world was in slow motion, including my actions. I can't really feel my eyes...or anything. Was I doing this?

NO. I would know if I was discovering a superpower, so this can't be me.

"You are pathetic." Mist says as he has a scowl on his face.

"Careful! Your face might freeze that way!" I began laughing.

"Oh, and have I mentioned how pretty your little girlfriend is." I spit out slowly.

"Wha- "

"She is very nice...very naive?" I continue.

"DON'T FUCKING MENTION HER!" Mist screams.

"Oh! I have hit a nerve! Would you say...I'm on thin ice?" I laugh again.

Mist shakes his head before I am kicked up against the wall, he brings his fist down over my face. Before he can make another move, I blow a fireball into him, he flies back into the wall, my flames going out as he falls to the ground.

I take the opportunity to run away. I ran and when I knew I'd lost him, I returned home.

"Sir? I saw the cameras, are you okay?" Clary asks, running down the stairs.

"Fine, I am fine.... But you're a little blurry." I tell her as I walk to my room. As soon as I'm up the stairs I Fall onto my bed and enter a numb slumber.

Everything is numb, except my head. My head is actually killing me.

I slowly sit up and grab my head as I look around. I'm in my room, I don't remember coming home last night.

"Ah you are awake, how did you sleep?" my brother asks. Walking into my room as if he owns it.

I roll my eyes. "Just tell me what happened."

"You got your ass kicked, that is what happened." He tells me with a smile.

"I would suggest you wipe that smile off your face before I gladly do it for you."

Marcus laughs now as he shakes his head. "I would suggest remembering what happened last night before you make threats, after that performance you aren't so scary anymore."

I lay back on the bed letting the memories come back to me. I remember pieces. Me falling, the mist being there, I bantered him about his girl...Shit.

I jump up and begin to grab clothes to change into.

"Where are you going?" Marcus asks as he stands up, watching me pace my room for clothes.

"I might have just blown up my entire plan!" I spit out before entering my bathroom and slamming the door behind me.

**

An hour later, I am dressed in black pacing the halls through Amara's apartment building.

Right on time, I heard her door open, I timed it perfectly by walking around the corner at the same time she did, causing her to bump into me.

"I am so sorry- wait." She says as my hands go around her waist to steady her. "It's you."

I smirk. "Hello again."

"What are you doing here?" She asks as she takes a step away from me.

She's cautious. Good.

"I was visiting a friend who lives here," I tell her dishonestly.

She looks weary for a few seconds but seems to have bought it. "Hm, alright. Well, I am so sorry again for running into you. But I must be going." She says walking past me.

Hm. I didn't even get a word in before she was gone.

This was going to be harder than I thought. If I just had a good opportunity to spend time with her, she would fall for me. I know it.

I eye the staircase to my left and sigh as I walk over and sit down.

She had to return sometime, right?

So, I will wait.