SIXTEEN

*Flashback*

Jackson

"Hey! You can't do that!" My sister says with a pout as she crosses her arms.

I laugh as I reach over and move my checker piece over hers, winning the game.

"What is going on?" my brother asks.

"J won't let me win!" Emily continues to pout.

"Alright children," My Mom comes into the room. Her long black hair flows behind her as she scoops my sister up. "Sometimes we lose games, but it is okay because you can always play again!" She leans down to ruffle my hair. This seems to settle Emily down as she wraps her small arms around mother's neck.

The front door opens and immediately Emily jumps from her arms as Marcus, and I run after her.

"Daddy!" Emily shouts.

Dad drops to his knees, letting his keys and folders drop from his hands as he engulfs us all in a bear hug, just like he does every day.

After all the hugs, he turns to Mother, kisses her on the cheek, and whispers something in her ear that causes her to laugh and blush a little.

We spent the rest of the day playing checkers- Emily finally won a game.

After we all had a bath since we had school the next day, I was currently in 7th grade, Marcus in 6th, and Emily in 3rd.

As Dad tucked me in at night, I looked at him with a thousand questions in my mind. "Dad, when did you know you loved mom?"

His expression changes for a moment before it softens.

"When I asked her what her favorite color was." He replies smoothly which causes me to raise an eyebrow.

"But that is the first question you ask someone?" I reply.

He laughs. "Under normal circumstances, yes. But you see when we were in college...I was...let's just say I wasn't looking for commitment, just someone to have...fun with. I did not want to get to know any female I was around, I did not care to, I just wanted one thing and one thing only. I met your mother and swore we would remain, friends, who would sometimes...partake in intimacy as a couple would. But as the months went on, I couldn't stay away. The day I realized I was interested in getting to know her beyond...her outer appearance. I wanted to know her soul and what makes her happy, sad, and excited. So, I started by asking her what her favorite color was." By the time he finished, he was smiling from ear to ear. He always seemed the happiest when talking about Mom. "After that, I asked her to be my girlfriend and have never even given another female a second glance. Why would I when I have the most perfect woman in the world for me, who gave me the beautiful gift of children to call our own!" He leans his hand down and pinches my cheek causing me to laugh and slap it away playfully.

"So, what was her answer? Her favorite color?"

He laughs, "Well at the time it was indigo, but now she says sunset orange is her favorite. Now save any more questions for tomorrow kid, you have to be up early."

I nod as I get under the covers and Dad pulls them over me placing a kiss on my head. "Goodnight Jackson, I love you."

"Night Dad, I love you too."

*Present Day*

Amara

"Phone?"

"Check."

"Keys?"

"Check."

"Pepper spray and taser?"

"Check and check. Can I go now?" I ask Amanda as she runs through her normal list of things I need to have before leaving alone.

She sighs. "Of course you can! I just need to make sure my girl is safe!" She laughs as she takes a hit of her cherry...ice...something vape.

"As always, I'm very grateful, now I will see you later tonight!" I reply before shutting the door behind me. I quickly walk out of my apartment building to see Jackson already walking up the sidewalk.

"Hey, I was going to come up to get you." He laughs

I wave my hand. "its fine, the stairs are a drag anyways, figured I'd save you the trouble."

He nods, "Consider me thankful." He holds his arm out to me. "Shall we?"

I hesitate before looping my hand through his arm as I let him lead the way.

I'm not sure what I was expecting from this journey with Jackson. He said he knew a spot he thought I would enjoy, but that is all the information he has given me. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, but so far Jackson had been nothing short of a gentleman, from the first moment I met him. After about a 30-minute hike up a mountain, we come to the top. There was a big open part that overlooked a large field of cows. I always knew about the countryside of New York but never visited it often, there wasn't much to do out here, but the scenery was unmatched. The top of this mountain just proves it.

Jackson takes off his backpack he had been carrying pulls out a pink and white checkered blanket and lays it on the ground right at the spot that overlooks everything. The sun was also setting, casting an orange glow on everything around. We sit down beside each other as I bring my knees up to my chest. I wore a simple yellow sundress, Jackson across from me was in black pants, and a black button-up.

"Do you have any other colored clothing besides black?" I ask

He raises an eyebrow as he smiles at me. "No."

I shake my head and look at the sunset. "It is beautiful," I whisper.

His smile fades a bit as he also turns his attention to the sunset. "Indeed. I come here when I need to clear my mind. It is like an escape for me. I figured you may need a safe space to come to as well, so feel free to anytime you need."

I turn my attention to him and give him a genuine smile. "Thank you for showing me this place. That was very thoughtful of you."

As we sat in silence I realized I don't know Jackson personally yet. We were...friends? And I knew he lived here but not much else. I figured it was a good time.

"How long have you been in New York?"

He turns towards me. "Forever, I was born here. What about you?"

"I was born in Michigan, but ended up here after my parents divorced and I decided to stay with my mom," I told him truthfully. I did not want to get into the sad details of that too much though "Do you have family here?"

He stiffens a little before taking a deep breath. "Yes. A younger brother and sister."

Curiosity gets the best of me. "Where are your parents?"

"Six feet under I'm afraid, love." He says with a neutral expression.

My breath catches in my throat. "I'm so sorry...what happen, if you don't mind me asking."

He seemed to ponder for a few minutes, perhaps deciding if he even wanted to tell me. I was about to ask another question to change the topic before he turned his gaze to the blanket beneath us and began his story.