TWENTY

*Spice warning!*

Cody

"Damnit!" I pace my living room back and forth as Maria throws on one of my shirts. She slowly walks over to me and places a hand on my shoulder.

"Cody, maybe it is for the best. You two were never going to work out."

I sigh, "But I wanted us to, I really did. Ever since she found out I was Mist she's been...different." I wanted to be mad at Maria, maybe put the blame on her. But I couldn't. This was my fault.

Everything happened so fast. We decided to come back to my place because we did not want to be alone. We were on the couch rewatching the news report of the incident. Maria placed her hand on my shoulder and told me it wasn't my fault. Then she leaned in, and so did I.

We all know what happened from there.

"God I am so stupid." I mutter.

"No, you aren't. Don't say that. Cody, I know you feel it too. This thing between us, you and I. You feel it right?" She asks taking my face in her hands.

I didn't want to admit it, but I did. It is the only reason I leaned in earlier.

"I do, I feel it too Maria. But this is wrong. I cheated and- "

I was cut off by Maria's lips pressed to mine. I couldn't fight it, I was weak. I placed my hand on her cheek and kissed her back. "Then why does it feel so right." She whispers against my lips.

Jackson

I run my hands through my hair. I have never been so frustrated in my life. Between these feelings for Amara, and The Mist, my anxiety is at an all-time high. I wanted to help. That is the whole reason I even went up there.

My thoughts were interrupted by my phone ringing. I wasn't going to answer until I saw whose name was at the top.

"Amara?"

"Hey, Jackson. Can you meet me at the spot?" She sounded upset, like she'd been crying.

"Of course, when?"

She sniffles, "Well, I'm actually already here."

"I'll be there."

It did not take me long to make it to the top of the hill where we had been not long before.

I saw her sitting in the grass overlooking the city. The sun had already set so I could only make her silhouette. I carefully sat beside her, waiting for her to start talking.

"I found Cody, my boyfriend...I walked in on him and a girl he told me not to worry about today." She whispered. "I walked in on them having sex."

Anger filled my veins. I wanted nothing more than to make him suffer. I shook my head. "I will kill him."

Her head snapped towards me. "You don't mean that."

I look at her and can see a tear falling down her cheek. I bring my hand up to hold her face as I wipe away the tear. "Of course not, darling."

"I thought he loved me. I was only there because I wanted to check in on him after.." She stops.

"After what?" I ask.

She sighs. "He was at the Statue of Liberty today, I'm sure you have heard."

So she knew. She knew and no doubt felt the same way about me as the rest of the city, only she didn't know it was me.

"I have heard. Must have been a lot for him to see." I grit through my clenched teeth so hard I'm surprised I didn't lock my jaw up.

She laughs sarcastically. "Can I tell you something?"