December 21st, 2023

December 21st, 2023

Dear Diary,

It is officially winter, but it hasn't snowed in the last few weeks. We got a couple of inches (and I am talking about maybe an inch or two). It has also been in the low 40's up to the low 50's. It is bizarre to see during December. Usually in Minnesota, you will see the temperature around the single digits up to the mid-30s. It is just crazy to see this winter be warmer than usual where I live.

Is this Global Warming's doing? Or is it something else causing this bizarre start to winter?

I mean that I still have Christmas spirit, but it would just make the Christmas season a little better with some snow. Now I am definitely not talking about a blizzard because I can barely walk in the snow when it is up to my waist. I am talking about five inches of snow. Just a tiny bit of snow. Nothing crazy. I just want a white Christmas, but it looks like we are getting a brown Christmas.

Have you ever watched A Year without Santa Claus? No. That is okay. It is a stop-motion Christmas special that I just loved to watch every Christmas since I was a little girl. There are these two characters in the special named Snow Miser and Heat Miser. Snow Miser controls the northern hemisphere, including Minnesota, and makes it cold and snowy. On the other hand, Heat Miser controls the southern hemisphere and makes it warm and rainy.

I just feel like there was a trade-off between the two brothers.

But then again, there were a few years when Christmas wasn't white. Like 2021. I remember on the 10th (somewhere around that date) there was a blizzard. I remember that blizzard because I was the only few employees to show up for their shift, so that day was chaotic with a capital C! Then maybe five days later there was a thunderstorm and a tornado warning in Minnesota, and all that snow was gone thanks to the thunderstorm. There was a lick of snow until December 26th, the day after Christmas.

But coming back to the present, I checked my weather app. It doesn't look like I am going to get any snow time in December. Maybe that is okay because, after Christmas, I get sick of the cold and snow that Minnesota winter brings. Yes, I want my white Christmas, but I am just not a fan of the cold and snow like when I was a little girl.

Playing in the snow. Having snowball fights with my classmates/friends. Sledding on the snowbanks at school. Making snow angels. Writing my name in the snow.

But now at 25 years old, I just see snow as an inconvenience. I just don't find winter as enjoyable as I did when I was younger. But I do find winter as an excuse to get cozy in my bedroom with multiple blankets and lit candles.

I just want a little Christmas snow. Not a blizzard. Just around five to six inches of snow to make it look like a winter wonderland.

But it is okay because I have the Christmas spirit in my heart.

Yours truly,

Kora Darden