Three: Chase

The room was unpleasantly dark. Well, not completely; a single ray of light lit the small room.

Chase Cummingham wonders where he is and what happened to him. The last thing he can remember is falling asleep holding a blonde girl whose name he has already forgotten.

He takes a moment to look around the room, trying to find anything that can answer his questions and sees several things: two navy couches on either side of the room, three matching chairs, and a wooden door.

A door. That's the source of the light.

He walks around what appears to be a sitting room and after finding nothing of importance, he turns around, then hesitates. A large fireplace made up of marble stone is on the largest wall. Two of the chairs are arranged neatly in front of it, as if people would sit here and sip a cold glass of wine after a long day of work, embracing the warmth of the hearth.

The ornate arch of the fireplace fascinates Chase. He brushes his fingers against the grooves, tracing the swirling patterns that were carved into the stone two-hundred years ago.

His gaze moves up to the stained glass art above it, one that depicts a young girl, or perhaps a doll.

The window has a magnetic pull, drawing him closer to it in fascination and fear. He stares at it so intensely that his eyes cross. Slowly, the doll's eyes seem to move to stare deep into his soul, causing him to reel backwards in surprise.

That's not creepy at all. It's probably him imagining things.

He takes one last look at the window before pushing the door further open and stepping into a small hallway, At the end, is a narrow, elaborate doorway.

Chase whistles when he walks through it and into a grand foyer.

"This is sweet," he says aloud, his voice reverberating against the vast walls and ceiling.

A single grand chandelier, built a long time ago from what seems to be gold, hangs from the tall ceiling. A large set of steps at the back of the room reaches about halfway up the walls before it splits in two. There are several paintings along the back wall, though Chase doesn't recognize any of them.

"Vho are you?" A thickly accented voice calls behind Chase.

Chase immediately turns around, pulling a knife on the boy.

A boy. That's all he is. He's wearing round glasses and has black hair. His cheeks are slightly chubby, as if his childhood years are still clinging to him.

Chase notes that the boy's only a few years younger than himself. With that in mind, he slowly drops the hand that is holding the knife, though he doesn't pocket it.

"Who are you?" Chase asks, sending the boy's question back at him.

"Vhy vould I tell you? I don't know vho you are."

"Then why do you expect me to tell you who I am?"

"You juz luk kinda dumb."

Chase looks at the boy with amusement. He's kinda offended too, as he's used to people falling at his feet and complimenting his good looks.

The boy looks at Chase for a second before turning around and walking around the room. He seems to take great interest in the chandelier.

"I vonder vhen zat chandelier vas made." the boy wonders aloud, "It seems da perfect size for..."

Once again, there is silence.

Well, there was silence. A loud voice rings across the room, causing