Sixteen: Zach

Zach notices Liz's sudden change in demeanor. He tries to say something, but she is quick to silence him, waiting until everyone else has left the room before telling him what's up.

"What is it?" he asks, moving to sit on one of the loveseats with Eliza following suit.

She points to the sandwich half. "That's what James shared with Zuri. He never ate his half, and also shared some crackers with Ameila Taylor."

Then it dawns on Zach what she is telling him and nods slowly. "You think that James had poisoned her." It wasn't a question. Liz nods, brushing a strand of hair out of her eyes.

She looks tired and Zach realizes that he's tired too.

That's probably because it's past one in the morning, and they haven't had any coffee. But when were they supposed to rest? When you're trapped in a large house with a bunch of murderous criminals, it's hard to lie down knowing that anyone could kill you in your sleep.

"How do we know for sure?" Zach knows that it's a dumb question, but it's all just some speculation. Do they really know that it was James who poisoned Zuri? Perhaps it was just a coincidence...

But Zach doesn't believe in coincidences.

"Who else could it be?" Eliza gives him a pointed look.

"Okay, so that mystery is solved then." He scratches his black curls. "I guess Chase had gone through all of that for nothing, then."

Liz hums and shakes her head. "I don't think so. He still tied up Vivica, which made him look all guilty. It was a pretty harsh thing for him to do, actually."

Zach nearly smiles at this. How ironic! He and Liz have done worse things to others. It's part of their job. Zach is certain that Chase has never had to do something like that to anyone before and just did what he knew from movies.

"I agree," Zach puts a hand on her knee. "You did a great job running the jurors like you did. You knew what was nonsense and what wasn't. And while I thought all of that was unnecessary, you made it worth it."

He looks at the sandwich and nudges her with his elbow teasingly. "Although it appears that I was right and it was unnecessary."

She offers a small smile and lightly kicks him in the leg with her shoe, causing him to pretend that he is severely injured.

"Oh, quit it you goofball. We're in serious stuff here." She reprimands, failing to hide her amusement.

"Anything for you Miss Allen." Zach relishes the warm glow that goes to her face, his mind flickering just a second to the old times.

He loves hearing her angelic voice tease him, he loves it when there is a smile on her face, and he loves it even more knowing that it's him that put it there.

"Back to the clue," she says. "You said that you possibly know what it means?"

"Yes. 'Doesn't have roots, but has routes,' that is a map. The rose refers to the compass." Zach tries to conceal his smug grin but fails when a look of admiration appears on her face. "I know," he jokes. "I'm awesome."

Liz raises an eyebrow. "No need to get so cocky there, Elsher."

"Why, Allen, I thought you like cocky?"

She playfully shoves him away. "In your dreams."

"Now that we know what we're looking for, we can start searching the rooms," Zach stands up and offers her a hand just to be polite.